All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dimitris1980

Power Macintosh G3 Minitower Upgrades

One more question. When i turn on the computer, i have to wait for some seconds in order to start booting. Is this normal? My macintosh LC475 boots immediately.
  3. Today
  4. dochilli

Different Macintosh in Original User Guide?

Remember that the 128k has 5 screws! The fifth screw is in the battery compartment. You have tho remove it, if you want to open the 128k! Some cases of 128ks were ruined because the people tried to open the case and forgot the fifth screw.
  5. dochilli

SCSI2SD and se/30

It is the same process for the most compacts, only the plus needs an extra power supply and some work to get it to boot from the SCSI2SD.
  6. I got a bit further - I found a trace that had been eaten through, patched it, now the Mac starts off both keyboard and back power button! Unfortunately, still no video or boot though. That indicates to me the possibility of more traces.. but so far I'm not seeing any that are obviously suspect. I will note that while I can power up with the keyboard button, I cannot shut it off with that. Only will shut off with the back power button.
  7. omidimo

SuperMac Thunder/24 ROM needed

I ordered a cheap UV eraser in case its needed. Looking thru Arrow & Mouser and one can get lost.
  8. Yesterday
  9. tokyoracer

Help identifying Lapis PDS card.

I get you, thanks for the info.
  10. sleestack808

SCSI2SD and se/30

Is there a simple tutorial ironed out for adding one of these to an se/30? Thanks!
  11. reukiodo

Best ROM disk for ROMinator / GGLabs?

I finally found the trick to getting an 8.1 System suitcase to recognize HFS+ is including the 'Text Encoding Converter' extension! But this is 592K and the 8.1 System suitcase is more than 6M... I'm still searching how to slim it down. At least it will fit in a 12M disk image, so it should fit on the 8MB ROMinator II... romdisk-recovery8.1-12MB.dsk recovery8.1-8M.rom
  12. Unknown_K

If you are going to use the old EPROMs you will need to get an eraser as well (UV light in a housing).
  13. North Hedge Ned

Thanks everyone for your input. So here are some questions answered then: Trash80toHP_Mini: The buckets on mine are textured, but the vent ports are all smooth and shiny. I still have to get that really long Torx 15. Once I do, I will post take apart photos here in this topic. I have to open one anyhow as the video is all squashed up when I over it on - hopefully not the Flyback Transformer or anything like that, and a simple adjustment. Stay tuned.....
  14. unity

Okay, thanks Trash. Wonder why it was painted like that? Although I have an Q700 from an Apple engineer that is also painted for no reason that I can tell.
  15. lubert

SE/30 Garbled screen

Thank you @Bolle for your insight, I will try to check all the address lines. If one of them does have an intermittent connection, what's the appropriate fix?
  16. omidimo

Got my programmer at last. Any recommendations of which eprom chips to get? (Newbie here after all!)
  17. Gorgonops

Sadly there may well have been dozens, if not hundreds of them back in the day, because it seems like it was *pretty common* for case parts made during tooling prototyping to end up on computers Apple used internally. (Which makes perfect sense.) It is a good question what the innards look like. It may likewise incorporate some prototype parts or it could be a completely stock (albeit early) production chassis that was pulled off the line for internal use just to use up the leftover prototype buckets. In any case, yeah, it's no doubt worth something to somebody.
  18. Trash80toHP_Mini

19. Trash80toHP_Mini

Baroni’s Collection

Love this thread, nice collection. Great two screen setup, but you need to get the monitor off your cooling vents.
  20. unity

That painted one, pretty sure its literally just a regular painted bucket.
  21. Trash80toHP_Mini

Your macs have the same logo panel as the painted development prototype (in pic above) and were retrofitted with production cooling vents? Looks to me like the engineers were testing ventilation of the bucket and someone wouldn't let them drill all the holes they'd planned. Can't tell from the pics, are your buckets textured? We've got an interesting timeline of bucket prototyping documented here.
  22. unity

Very nice. The rear bucket is certainly a steep between some of the early and final models with the vents on top. Certainly a prototype. The motherboard may be very telling too, you may want to look at it. With any luck it has a Mr. Macintosh logo.
  23. Trash80toHP_Mini

Fun with colour on my SE/30

Love it, that's great info for my projection screen project Very nice work, ants. looks fabulous. From your description of the process it sounds like you've made a plano-convex lens? I've always wondered about refractive index complications. How does it look when sitting on the LCD, no distortion? Pic looks like you've got a little bit of magnification of your index fingertip? Do the edges of the LCD look nice and straight or is there a tad of either barrel or pincushion distortion? Can't wait to see the final assembly, fabulous!
  24. MOS8_030

Very nice early Macs! I'd like to see the guts as well.
  25. elbaroni

Baroni’s Collection

Also, I’d forgotten just how bloated things got by system 7.5. Plugged in a random hard drive with an awesome selection of fonts on it which I want to get off. No Ethernet driver installed. Fair enough - install open transport *and* classic AppleTalk, because I don’t know which will work. Disks 1, 2, 4-8, 10, 11, and a pile at the end. Can’t wait to nuke it and go back to 7.01. 6.08 would be better, but will have to wait until the IIci’s recapped.
  26. elbaroni

Baroni’s Collection

Argh! Thought I’d let out some of my Mac II frustration by trying something nice and new and modern. Quadra 700. All well until *fizz-ZZZZZzzzz* magic smoke coming from the power supply. It kept running long enough for me to shut it down, but kerploding power supplies not a winner. Have plugged it into my IIci supply in the meantime. This should be a lesson to you all - maintain your collections!
  27. I'm rather surprised no one listed what those capacitors are in the 400k drives, nor do I find any discussions or YouTube videos on recapping them. So I guess that means I need to do it. Well, here's the first step: Big PCB: 3pcs of 47uF 16V, D=6.5mm, H=8mm, Lead Spacing=2.5mm 2pcs of 22uF 16, D=5.1mm, H=8mm, Lead Spacing=2.5mm Small PCB: 2pcs of 10uf 16v, D=4.2mm, H=7mm, Lead Spacing=2mm 3pcs of 10uf 35v, D=5.15mm, H=6.2mm, Lead Spacing=2mm 0.47uF 50V, D=4.2mm, H=6.2mm, Lead Spacing=2mm (or less) 0.22uF 50V, D=4.2mm, H=5.8mm, Lead Spacing=2mm (or less) 1uF 50V, D=4.2mm, H=7.5mm, Lead Spacing=2mm (or less) I next need to put together a Mouser Cart with the appropriate replacements. The key here is to not go beyond the Diameter or height, as many of these caps are a tight fit. The tallest 7.5mm capacitor on the small circuit board is the absolute tallest you'd want to go. And don't think about using 5pcs of 10uF 35V, forgoing the 2pcs of 10uF 10V, seeing the Diameter spacing on the circuit board necessitates the two different voltage ratings due to the difference in capacitor Diameter. Also note that you will need thermal grease for the copper heatsink, as that is used between the copper and the silver metal chassis of the drive. I'll probably do a video on this once I order and then receive all the parts. But I've been putting together a capacitor list on Mouser for the last two months, checking all my analog boards, motherboards, floppy drives, GCC Hyperdrive (which has its own PSU, and there are caps on the HDD itself too!), and so on. It make take me another month before it all comes together and I can start on the video. Suffice it to say, if a lubed floppy drive doesn't work and the cable and heads are good, it could come down to unstable operation due to the capacitors. Again, I'm really shocked no one has focused on this. It's not like the motherboard always needs recapping but the floppy drives are somehow immune. They have electrolytics too, and many were built in 1984, meaning those caps are now 35 years old in 2019.
  28. Byrd

Fun with colour on my SE/30

ants, if you ever want to make a negative mould, I have access to a reasonably large vacuum press (and nearby oven) to form perspex - I'm in Melbourne
  1. Load more activity