JDW

WHAT FONT? "can't wait to get out of that bag"

When Steve Jobs introduced the Macintosh 128k on stage for the first time, there was a voice synthesizer scene where it said, "Hello, I'm Macintosh.  It sure is great to get out of that bag."  What font was used for that?  It isn't Chicago, and it's too thick to be New York.

cantwait.jpg

3 hours ago, Dog Cow said:

Venice.

Are you sure? I searched a little to see what I could find but all that I came up with were stories relating to the Venice font being a Bill Atkinson font that didn't make it into the first Mac. The screenshot of the video shows a very blurry image (no one's fault of course), Venice was a script font looked like the screenshots.

Can you cite some sources to enhance your answer. It would be nice to have a little more details.

Thanks Dog Cow!

—Alex

3296.png.gif.5027daac390ce38189e292a629b7a558.gifvenicelondonysf810.png.7f63e9e3c9f872bd4ed1cbd58dfb2164.png

26 minutes ago, Scott Baret said:

The font in question is Athens.

image.png.659e5d8eff3ff1a6163482040b1c858a.png

Yeah, I can see the slab-serif look in that screen grab.

Isn't that unveiling demo available for download somewhere? only it requires a Fat Mac to run…

Edit: here's the text I mocked up real quick:
SKPI1LE.png

Edited by jessenator

Yep, Athens. I'd been looking at that font just a few days earlier in MacWrite. I recognized the face but got the name wrong. :p

Sosumi. :p

Edited by Dog Cow

One related question for you gentlemen...

That Mac was either a 128k or 512k with the original 64k ROMs.  Was there a word processor or another application that could put text on the screen like that without any menu bar, filling the entire screen?  It probably was a custom piece of software specially made for that demo, but I'm just curious if there is an application program that could run that early System software and hide the menubar.

I’m sure that was a custom app. It would have set the menu bar height to zero, created a single full-screen window (or just cleared the screen directly using the Window Manager grafPort), done SetFont(athens), then executed a call to TextBox to wordwrap the desired string. 

Someone on here made a replica program, though it requires 2x 800k disks instead of a single 400k.

The thread speculated that the original is probably lost to time, and they're probably right.

Interesting.  I’m trying to envision what part of that demo would have eaten up more than 400k of disk space.  The speech synthesis is just MacinTalk, right?

each full screen image of the apps is about 22 kb of space but I don't see that program even reaching close to the full 400 kb disk if it was written in assembly (which, let's face it, in 1983 when it was probably developped, it was) or even a lean & mean THINK C project (which was, of course, absolutely not possible back then).

12 hours ago, Mu0n said:

each full screen image of the apps is about 22 kb of space but I don't see that program even reaching close to the full 400 kb disk if it was written in assembly (which, let's face it, in 1983 when it was probably developped, it was)

PackBits was used to compress screen images, so they might have used that. The demo was probably written mainly in Lisa Pascal with some assembly.

13 hours ago, Crutch said:

The speech synthesis is just MacinTalk, right?

Right. And MacinTalk was written under contract by a 3rd party. Can't recall the name off hand.

files by size:

-------------

Letters 43K

Finder 31K

Pictures 30K

System 23K

Screen1 22K

Screen2 22K

Screen3 22K

Screen4 22K

Screen5 22K

Screen6 22K

Screen7 22K

Screen8 22K

Screen9 22K

startup screen 22K

DeskScrap 4K

InsaneData 3K

-----------TOTAL 354K

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

thank you to all for digging this up. Athens is a nice font and along the way I learned about the Venice font.

Alex, here's a still taken from the original intro video (left) compared to the version I made (first sentence only, at right) using Athens...

cantwait.thumb.jpg.d9bf1d6bd6021d97fb917adcce93c09d.jpg          Hello_Im_Macintosh.png.445f31678be4c862ce342be5a82558a3.png

1 hour ago, JDW said:

cantwait.thumb.jpg.d9bf1d6bd6021d97fb917adcce93c09d.jpg          Hello_Im_Macintosh.png.445f31678be4c862ce342be5a82558a3.png

Even though the original video still of the Mac screen is blurry it's still clear enough to confirm that the original font must have been Athens. Venice appeared much too cursive to fit. Thanks for the side by side comparison James.

Edited by Alex

@JDW User @iwakurarein just uploaded backups of a bunch of disks of early 128k prototype software that he found (speculation that they were Apple internal development floppies), including one called "MacTalk."

It might be worth downloading and checking it out.  A small chance that MacTalk was the app they used?  Maybe it can be modified?

Edited by olePigeon

1 hour ago, olePigeon said:

@JDW User @iwakurarein just uploaded backups of a bunch of disks of early 128k prototype software that he found (speculation that they were Apple internal development floppies)

They're almost certainly not from Apple, nor development floppies. I analyzed the disks over the summer when he sent them to me and determined that in all likelihood they are public domain distribution disks from a Macintosh user's group. It was very common for pre-release software to be distributed via user groups and BBS. Betas of just about all of Apple's software: MacTerminal, Finder, MacWrite, etc. were distributed this way.

Note that in his first post in that thread he asks about "public domain" original volume label on the disks. That's because I'd already told him my conclusions about their origin.

Edited by Dog Cow

11 hours ago, slomacuser said:

Athens it is. @JDW are you trying to do a replica?

:-) 

Getting the actual software used to create that full screen "Hello, I'm Macintosh..." running on a Mac 128k or 512k isn't something I've been able to obtain, so I'm trying to creatively incorporate about 10 seconds or so of that old 1984 Intro video into a forthcoming video about vintage Mac cooling fans.  My intention is just to use it in passing to very briefly mention the original compact Macintosh series (until the SE in 1987) lacked an internal fan due to Jobs insistence and proactive role in shaping the machine's design.  Having it display on an actual Mac rather than display the clip full screen is my goal.  I've actually been able to achieve it to my satisfaction, so I'll post the link when the video is finished, before it goes Public, so you gentlemen can give me feedback.  I still have a lot more work to do on that video, so it's still more than a week away from being finished.