Sign in to follow this  
Papichulo

Powerbook 100

Hello

I just got a powerbook 100. It looks good and has a working screen 

The issue is the ac adapter port is loose and when i plug it in it makes a static noise with the sad mac sound.  I got it to start up to a flashing disk since theres no hd but then back to static noises. Is that because the ac plug is loose? I scrubbed the boards down to. Thanks

Check the tip of the power jack plug. If there's a chip in the insulation DO NOT USE THAT A/C ADAPTER AGAIN!!!!

There was a longstanding silent recall deal when it was new. A chipped plug can trash the motherboard completely, happened to mine. The new MoBo/Power Power Adapter replacement repair was free. If you do need to get an new adapter, make sure it's the original part number or the low power version, the full power 100 series version will blow up a PB100 or Lugggable.

The PowerBook 100 is also known for having capacitors issues (Logic board side)

apart from  having a bad connector (maybe just bad or broken connector solder) i will replace caps first (never seen one with good ones)

The powerbook makes a regular chime but only when i hold the plug down. The ac adapter works but the ac port is cracked on the solder part under the board. I saw the question mark screen once and it was clear but not since.