Sign in to follow this  
Trash80toHP_Mini

Mystery Icon?

What system or device is this from? It doesn't look lke this matches up with the CC/5x0, or, well, any machine I can remember seeing.

Ports of approximately that shape and size did get used for a couple different things- ADB and serial (printer/modem) for starters, as well as S-Video in some scenarios (although not many s-video ports were directly on the motherboard, 840 was, IDK about the 660.)

When this cover is installed, what port is it? Is it possible it's a labeling oddity and that icon is for the Kensington lock slot above?

Not CC/5x0, i's a mystery. There's a punch in the chassis for a panel mount DIN connector, but it's not implemented. No provision for the locking lug is present in the chassis.

2 minutes ago, jessenator said:

It almost make me think of a scanner icon…

Nope, there's a SCSI Port for hooking up a scanner. I was thinking stereo jack, but the icon's not right for that.

11 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Nope, modem port is next to the printer port where it belongs and FAX/Modem is on the other end. Board behind it is a Duo MiniDock variant.

This from a Duo MiniDock? Or? Where did you get this port cover panel? Is it the only part you have?

Yep, understood that, but the locking lug is not implemented. I haven't got my torn down MiniDock handy to check out the board in the other thread. I'll be clearing away the sorting boxes to see if I can find it. There's definitely a board like that on the end of the MiniDock logic board. It may be an adjunct to the Power Board used in stock Duos, sans Modem. If so that would be a third serial port connection in lieu of the Modem Card.

I have never seen this icon on anything Apple.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Paladin_rear.jpg

C, that's a pic of an early Paladin prototype with the almost blank cover panel and odd cooling vents on the left side if that's what they are.

Paladin_left.jpg

Later prototype with proper venting:

8961559454_d64ac68081_z.jpg

I've yet to see a pic of the backside of this one.

It's not S-Video in/out or the identical(?) composite in/out icons. Those are documented in Ports and Pinouts. The only thing that makes sense to me would be a dedicated LocalTalk port for a Laser Printer? It's very different, but somehow very much like the Printer Port icon. It's nowhere to be found in Ports_Pinouts.PDF.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

My money is on the DAA adapter (not needed in NA markets) linked above. The thread specifically calls it out as a Mini-Dock option for Europe/Worldwide to connect the DIN to whatever regional adapter was needed instead of RJ11

See if your board has the connection for that add-on.

Edited by jessenator

Nope, nothing behind the hole, but you're making sense other than the icon itself. Has anyone got a DAA adapter board equipped Euro/Worldwide MiniDock to check the mystery icon against? I'm very surprised it's not in Ports and Pinouts as the doc covers the backplane of everything from 128K to 9600/ANS. :huh:

1 hour ago, Fizzbinn said:

Where did you get this port cover panel? Is it the only part you have?

Nope, I have several drawers full of miscellaneous parts I'm trying to make sense of. For now it's just that mystery icon that's driving me much crazier than my usual levels. :blink: Home sick with a horrid cold and the Thera-Flu's not helping the gray matter's efficiency a whole lot. Time to open up a can of chicken noodle soup and doctor it up.

4 hours ago, Fizzbinn said:

Maybe from Apple Paladin (Project X)?

https://www.coroflot.com/douglasstanley/Apple-Paladin-Project-X

Seems similar to the icon next to the copy button, no? 

Spot on! [;)]  But it's neither of the similar fax or copy icons:

Mystery_Paladin_Icon.thumb.JPG.954d72f6da1ed9a51fa8f0a44f6eddae.JPG

Still looks like a sheet feeder control line or a LocalTalk port to offload printing to a higher quality, more cost efficient LaserWriter? Bulk sheet feeder for a StyleWriter? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me. Ink cart says:

StyleWriter

StyleWriter II

Portable StyleWriter

ISTR reading the spec on the printer (1200?) but couldn't find it again just now.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:30 PM, Fizzbinn said:

Maybe from Apple Paladin (Project X)?

https://www.coroflot.com/douglasstanley/Apple-Paladin-Project-X

Seems similar to the icon next to the copy button, no?

Was this ever actually a functional thing?

Judging by the photos, it looks like it was almost production-quality, at least on the outside.

c

I'll assume they were functional prototypes, case parts were texturized, but what a gawdawful kluge! I really don't think Paladin could have gone into production with the innards in this form.

PaladinScreenShot.thumb.JPG.dfbb6529090f65dee20075d838a057d4.JPG

HDD has been backed up, cloned and got it to boot the IIsi! Still documenting the teardown on and off as the fancy hits me.