Sign in to follow this  
CVKealey

Quantum Viking 42S493 SCSI drive "unsupported"?

Going through a couple boxes of old hard drives, I found two Quantum Viking drives, model # VK42S493. Specs I found online indicate these are 4.2 GB and appear to have been originally sold by/packaged in Compaq PCs. I'm fairly certain at least one of them came out of a PowerMac (7200 or 7300, I think). I plugged them into an external SCSI enclosure connected to my beige G3 DT (running 9.2.1) and Drive Setup sees them, but lists them as "unsupported". I can't initialize them, mount them, or anything else. Any ideas on whether these are compatible/can be used in SCSI-based Macs? 

IMG_20190904_221350591.jpg

At some point the Apple utility was only able to support some brands and units, try again with another utility (Lido for instance) 

3 hours ago, bibilit said:

At some point the Apple utility was only able to support some brands and units, try again with another utility (Lido for instance) 

Thanks, I'll give this a try tonight!

OK, Lido saw them and started initializing one, but then it started the click of death and got really (really) warm. Haven't tried the other yet, but get the feeling the results will be the same and they'll both go into my pile of dead drives.