Alex

Macintosh LC II Recapping and Dishwasher - please don't!

20 hours ago, techknight said:

I use a cheapo ultrasonic chinese special with distilled water (all I can get locally) and I have had ZERO issues. And this is with production PCBs at work. Never once have mineral deposits have been a thing or residues, etc. 

After it comes out of the ultrasonic cleaner, it gets a dip in the IPA to displace the water, and then it goes into the oven. Works every time. 

Where do you obtain said cheapo Chinese special?

22 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

I've always wondered why vinegar (acetic acid) is considered a proper agent for removing acidic gunk? A baking soda solution (base) sounds like a much better agent. Haven't got money for even a cheapo ultrasonic Chinese special, so I've been considering using the compressor and a detail gun loaded up with a series of solvents to "pressure wash" over around and under the ICs as well. Baking soda followed up with distilled water and then a final rinse with IPA seems a good approach. Whatcha think? Maybe use vinegar after the baking soda and then the distilled water?

I've always heard that the baking soda helps with anything acidic, but the vinegar is to remove any minerals after washing and cleaning. So yes, those, then distilled water with no minerals seems to make sense based on what I've been told.

What's IPA?

India Pale Ale. Not sure why folks recommend this type of beer for cleaning motherboards, always leaves my boards sticky... 

Kidding! Kidding!

Isopropyl Alcohol, I use the following with q-tips:

MG Chemicals 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol Electronics Cleaner, 475 mL Trigger Spray Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SPJP5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3HyHDb2HJJP2C

IPA was never intended to be good beer, it was developed to be drinkable beer after its long sea voyage to India. The good stuff (Porters) were just awful after arrival there, so they came up with IPA. :p

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Some leakages, such as from an alkaline battery will be basic instead of acidic and so vinegar is an appropriate neutralizing agent.   I'm not sure where the pH of capacitor goo falls, or Lithium batteries for that matter.  I think the 1/2AA is some kind of lithium chemistry, or am I misremembering?

I still think the dishwasher is a worthwhile final Hail Mary after hosing down a board with contact cleaner, manually scrubbing with IPA and vinegar didn't work, it's revived a lot of boards for me. No lead poisoning yet but I do run a bunch of machine cleaning cycles afterwards to get the worst electronics smell out of it :) 

The biggest downside of the dishwasher is probably that anything that gets knocked off the board is going down the drain never to be seen again. One of my 840av boards lost some tiny SMD components that way and I haven't been able to restore it.

An ultrasonic cleaner large enough to wash computer motherboards like that in is definitely on my wish list!