Hello i just got a 145b off ebay and it wont work. It turns on without battery but the screen is blank and sad mac chimes turn on. There is black and white squares on the screen. I cant see the sad mac so ai dont know the problem. Is it age related can I fix it? Thanks

Probably bad screen caps.

Pretty much every PB from the 100 to most (if not all) the PPC ones have screen issues and every one in existence will be crying out for them to be replaced. 

He also said it has the sad Mac chime.

Do you hear the hard drive spinning? There are two caps on the internal DC DC board that need replacing, but yes there are about 10 caps on the LCD board that likely need replaced.

Do you have a multimeter? Can you verify your AC adapter is outputting the right voltage or close to it? If you need someone to replace the caps, I can do it for you for a price if you want.

Edited by Jinnai
one wrong letter

15 hours ago, Jinnai said:

He also said it has the sad Mac chime.

Do you hear the hard drive spinning? There are two caps on the internal DC DC board that need replacing, but yes there are about 10 caps on the LCD board that likely need replaced.

Do you have a multimeter? Can you verify your AC adapter is outputting the right voltage or close to it? If you need someone to replace the caps, I can do it for you for a price if you want.

The hard drive doesnt sound bad. The ac adapter is putting out the exact voltage required. I tried pushing reset and the interupt button but it keeps doing the same thing. Also i can only see the checkerboard screen after adjusting the contrast 

I see you all are takin’ about me! :lol:

Back to seriousness: have you tried unplugging the hard drive? I’ve seen times where a corrupted hard drive could cause a sad Mac (happened on my 145B).