maceffects

Micron Xceed w/ Grayscale Adapter Questions

So I finally managed to obtain a Micron xceed with the Grayscale adapter, it set me back $1000 which I considered a bargain compared to the one that sold on the Bay for $2000+. 

My question is, is the card plug and play or are drivers needed before installing?  If required, what version (if any) should I use?   And lastly can it be used in conjunction with the TwinSpark plus 50mhz upgrade?  

The card is plug & play.  I run mine with (i.e., plugged into the top of) my 50Mhz Diimo SE/30 accelerator and it works great, and fits (but my Diimo is the SE/30 PDS kind with passthru that doesn’t need a TwinSpark ... it does not work with the TwinSpark + 040 as omidimo noted).

@EvilCapitalist your response just popped up ... I don’t think that driver is actually necessary.  Just pull up the Monitors control panel, it should let you set to 256 grays.

Edited by Crutch

An additional purchase I made for my SE/30 was a better PSU from Artmix (when he made them), and replaced the fan to help with airflow. 

28 minutes ago, Crutch said:

@EvilCapitalist your response just popped up ... I don’t think that driver is actually necessary.  Just pull up the Monitors control panel, it should let you set to 256 grays.

Concur, I outlined why no Declaration ROM/Slot Manager card can act as a startup screen without the required baseline drivers being available long before a Mac hits a startup disk and loading drivers in another thread. That subject might make for an interesting thread topic on its own.

The driver (a Control Panel in all cases of which I am aware offhand) offers added flexibility for using drivers in DeclROM required for any supported resolution/bit depth combination. The Control Panel might possibly be required for PRAM setup to get grayscale output from the Xceed up and running for the :huh: and Happy Mac screens, but I doubt it.

With no sense lines detected on its external monitor connector, I'd think the Micron Xceed would kick into grayscale mode during initialization as the default as there would be no other reason for the card to have been installed in the SE/30 given that machine state but grayscale output. Should the Xceed card fail to initialize during the startup sequence, the SE/30 would certainly default to its internal B&W Video ROM setup, giving the appearance that the Xceed card had come up in single-bit mode?

All guesswork of course, but not entirely wild or uneducated I should hope. :blink:

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

I'll have to check that on mine.  If I'm remembering correctly the card started in B&W and I had to manually select 256 grays through the Monitors Control Panel after I installed the enabler.

Cool, waiting patiently for that answer. Is the "enabler" a driver/INIT per se, a Control Panel, or both? I'm willing to bet a shiny nickel the Xceed card will boot right up into a grayscale :huh: screen with the SE/30 Video ROM pulled long before the Happy Mac Screen appears. Could very well be wrong about that theory, but I doubt it. The Xceed Declaration ROM almost has to contain code that sends built-in video buffering/registers into a comatose state in the hardware initialization sequence long before the CPU has the first thought about video output. That's a much wilder guess, but that's my theory until convinced otherwise.

I've never taken any interest in this particular Unicorn/Money Pit from Micron, or the SE/30 at all for that matter until a DOA Mobo example (Recap Disaster) showed up on my doorstep in trade when someone requested a redundant LC475 I had on hand that was unloved and in need of a bit of TLC. I was easily resurrected and a the SE/30 finally got a heart transplant and some goodies in trade when another member requested bits from the two foot plus 1400 stack.

It's amazing how disinterest or idle interests in the hobby can morph into obsessions with the unexpected appearance of new toys. As the RCPII/IIsi work undertaken for the "SE/30's bane" Rocket Powered SuperIIsi project migrated to its nemesis, I was finally bitten well and good by the SE/30 bug. ProtoCache1  adapter and NuBus in SE/30 projects quickly ensued, pushing the SuperIIsi aside after required feasibility studies were completed successfully.

Let's swing this post right straight back to the first paragraph and your Micron Xceed testing and then back out onto another tangent. My current obsession (most of the time) is finding a workable path to developing a dedicated, internal only GS Card for the SE/30. Figuring out the workings of the Xceed in terms of its poleaxing of internal video operations is right up there on the to do list. If we can fathom that mystery, the most serious roadblock to development of a new GS Card will have been cleared  .  .  .  maybe.

Such would also answer the most basic of questions about initial testing for adapting the Fartallon LC PDS NIC to the SE/30. These various projects are tangled together like a half full packing box of assorted Mac, PC and Sun cables that hasn't seen the light of day through a series of four moves and in and out of threedifferent storage rooms at various times but for ransacking of its contents, making random substitutions with a generous application of topsy-turvy rearrangement of various boxen thrown into the mix at every location. 8-o

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

So, I stand corrected.  I didn't even have the Control Panel extension installed on my machine, but the grayscale option was there.  Installed the extension, which states that it adds functionality to the Monitors Control Panel and I have one more calibration choice on the Options page but that's about it.  When I reset the PRAM though the computer started up in B&W mode and I had to select 256 grays again.

Monitors Control Panel looked the same with or without the Control Panel extension installed

20190629_180037.thumb.jpg.cbea6b3ed6a1138af1e1d0f61b787a8d.jpg

The only difference was under the Options page.  One more calibration option and a different icon.

No Control Panel extension:

20190629_180055.thumb.jpg.d71a23379cfd2e6f2e7f5ba5c2ea28c8.jpg

Control Panel extension installed:

20190629_181255.thumb.jpg.c1a0e73d1b48005fbd8403f62d473f7e.jpg

I'm running version 2.0 of the Control Panel extension, I don't know if a newer version adds anything additional.