sixsevenco

Best games/apps to showcase B&W mac?

Civilization and Vette!

They're the only two I can think of that nobody else mentioned. Though Civ may be slow on 68K. . .

Every other suggestion is sound. Personally I find the "Quest" games very poorly optimized on the Mac, barely playable but give it a go none-the-less.

Wasn't Syndicate B&W too? That would probably be a slideshow on 68K though (if it works at all).

Edited by tokyoracer
Added sentence.

The Mac Plus was all I had in that era, so I slogged happily through all the Quest games I could lay my hands on. I very infrequently saw them at other people's places on PCs so I wasn't too spoiled for my platform.

5 hours ago, olePigeon said:

@tokyoracer  Civ's fine on 68k.  I run it on my IIci with no problems, even late game.

IIci is 25Mhz with cache (usually). Classic II is 16MHz and is crippled by other factors too.

That said, being as it's only rendering white and black, it probably wouldn't be too bad on it.

Edited by tokyoracer

I don’t recommend games where the bitmaps originated elsewhere and were ported lazily to the Mac. Not good showcases.

Cosmic Osmo, The Manhole, and Spelunx and the Caves of Mr. Seudo all have superb 1-bit artwork. Cyan made their own halftone patterns, which blend smoothly into one another. I recreated these patterns in FullPaint for use in my own doodles.

Before he made the Dark Castle games, Mark Stephen Pierce did the handsome demo animation for VideoWorks and VideoWorks II.

Both Frankie’s Dungeon and Creepy Castle are lookers, though the latter has better interstitials. Its main title screen is just smashing.

Trici Venola’s character art for The Comic Strip Factory is juicy stuff. I wish she had made a game.

A lot of love went into the sprites for the black-and-white version of Battle Chess.

Arkanoid is an outstanding arcade conversion. It has fast action and flicker-free animation.