K Trueno

Daystar Universal PowerCache P33 in SE/30

So neither the GAL nor the 74ACT86 do anything on that SE/30 adapter if you use it in the SE/30...

The GAL code is the same as on the Daystar IIsi only adapter.

1355173674_Bildschirmfoto2019-06-25um10_14_13.thumb.png.a09d21211912c61a917c7a21ab60b07b.png

The input signals present at the GAL are the same as on the IIsi adapter, only a few output pins are routed to different places on the SE/30 connector.

Only signals that are important are on pins 17, 18 and 19.

/CFLUSH stays high all the time. Pin 18 (connected to C20 on the SE/30 cache connector) is high all the time as well.

/CENABLE stays low all the time.

The 74*86 outputs a high signal all the time as well because the two inputs 1 and 2 are receiving the same signal. CPUCLK and C16M are tied together on the SE/30 PDS slot.

It will only output something on the IIsi where CPUCLK is 20MHz and C16M is - guess what :tongue: - 16MHz. The signal coming out of there is then routed to /CFLUSH on the IIsi cache connector.

This means for a P33 -> SE/30 only adapter there isn't any GAL (or even any chip) needed at all. A 7486 to boost the clock signal if you use two PDS cards would be a good thing to do though as this constellation might cause problems otherwise.

If you wanted you could even wire up your P33 to the SE/30 PDS using a lot of jumper wires. No magic going on here at all.

9 hours ago, Bolle said:

This means for a P33 -> SE/30 only adapter there isn't any GAL (or even any chip) needed at all. A 7486 to boost the clock signal if you use two PDS cards would be a good thing to do though as this constellation might cause problems otherwise.

If you wanted you could even wire up your P33 to the SE/30 PDS using a lot of jumper wires. No magic going on here at all.

Wow.  That's amazing.   Great work, Bolle!  Thank  you.

On 6/25/2019 at 10:30 AM, Bolle said:

Is it possible to buy a PDS flat cable for the DIN-connector?

2 hours ago, ktkm said:

There are .1" pitch ribbon cables.   I don't think I've ever seen a premade cable with a Euro-DIN connector on the end.  I'm also pretty sure that the easily available ribbon cables don't go past 40 or 50 conductors.   I looked into trying to bring the SE/30 CPU socket up with ribbon or flat flex cables some years ago.

Hi all, I tried adding the jumper to my Twinspark to see what effect it had on my Daystar Turbo 040 - I was blown away by the improvement!

The MacBench scores speak for themselves. Below I tested my SE/30 with a Daystar Turbo - one with the Jumper and one without:

macbench.png.6c7742d138d58ed05c0f47cb39db06de.png

But scores aside, the whole system feels so much faster. Thank you to everyone on this thread!

Edit: Here is my jumper, I just used the leg off a resistor lying around:

IMG_20190628_204017.thumb.jpg.44e170b5c8a47b7052242d57ff580a7a.jpg

Edited by ants

On 6/26/2019 at 2:52 PM, trag said:

There are .1" pitch ribbon cables.   I don't think I've ever seen a premade cable with a Euro-DIN connector on the end.  I'm also pretty sure that the easily available ribbon cables don't go past 40 or 50 conductors.   I looked into trying to bring the SE/30 CPU socket up with ribbon or flat flex cables some years ago.

Someone used M-F breadboard wires as a Radius Color Pivot II/IIsi card riser in the SE/30 PDS. You could do the IIci Cache Slot adaptation with those I suppose.

I've picked up a few M-F NuBus length rbbon cable assemblies a while back, but never saw them again on eBay.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, trag said:

Thanks for the tip and good to know!

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Someone used M-F breadboard wires as a Radius Color Pivot II/IIsi card riser in the SE/30 PDS. You could do the IIci Cache Slot adaptation with those I suppose.

Something like this

7 hours ago, ants said:

Hi all, I tried adding the jumper to my Twinspark to see what effect it had on my Daystar Turbo 040 - I was blown away by the improvement!

Great! What’s the spec on your Daystar Turbo 040? I was going to try it with 040 33 MHz.

7 hours ago, ants said:

But scores aside, the whole system feels so much faster. Thank you to everyone on this thread!

Memory benchmarks doubled in my SE/30—before the jumper it even scored slightly below that of a ’normal’ SE/30.

8 hours ago, ants said:

macbench.png.6c7742d138d58ed05c0f47cb39db06de.png

Wow that’s awesome, so not only PowerCache but Turbo 040 too!  It does make it feel a lot faster.  Without the cache the CPU is always waiting on a 16mhz bus for memory access.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:57 AM, ktkm said:
On 6/25/2019 at 2:30 AM, Bolle said:

Judging from things it ought to be possible, but it doesn’t look like it’s 1:1.

Here is a thread by @Von that shows how he did it, so cool.  

1 hour ago, ktkm said:

Great! What’s the spec on your Daystar Turbo 040? I was going to try it with 040 33 MHz.

Mine's a 40mhz with the 128kb cache card.

7 hours ago, K Trueno said:

Judging from things it ought to be possible, but it doesn’t look like it’s 1:1.

It is absolutely POSITIVELY NOT 1:1 and you'd need to do the IIci Cache Slot adaptation in cable. Bolle's only saying you don't need the GAL.

Von's cable extender hack is exactly what I was talking about, you'd need to switch almost every (every?) wire around from motherboard connector to PowerCache/Turbo 040 connector.

@Bolle If you wire up one of your adapters to bypass the logic and its latency, will more of your SE/30 boards support multiple cards?

Gotta do some testing on that...

I will have to modify all my SE/30s anyways so that the cache on all those P33s actually works.

Most of the SE/30s have two PDS cards so we are going to find out how the most commonly used PDS card combos behave.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:55 PM, K Trueno said:

Here is a thread by @Von that shows how he did it, so cool.  

Now, that is almost precisely the thing I was looking for to build!

Thanks for the tip @K Trueno.