I know there was some redesign involved between the 86/9600 case and the G3's case. Did the changes extend as far as the front drive bezels or are they interchangeable?

Found this image in an old thread for my own reference, and yeah, they were taller (more expansion), so I wonder if the drive bezel's changed that much.

Franken_Mac_PLUS01.jpg&key=9d49a366511a3 

The 8600/9600 and Beige G3 MT use the same bezels and metal bay trays. I forget if the optional plastic bottom HD mount is the same on both (you can install 2 x 3.5" HDs in the bottom of the case).

25 minutes ago, maceffects said:

The drive bezels are interchangeable

24 minutes ago, Unknown_K said:

The 8600/9600 and Beige G3 MT use the same bezels and metal bay trays.

Thanks, all. I found a dirt cheap one off an 8600 and leapt before checking to make doubly sure it would fit my G3 case. It's a lot more attractive than a bare panel, that's for sure. If either of you need/want a flush/contoured ZIP bezel, you can have first dibs for the price of shipping.

2 hours ago, Unknown_K said:

(you can install 2 x 3.5" HDs in the bottom of the case)

I don't believe this part is present in the Power Macintosh G3 minitower at all. Its primary IDE hard disk is mounted at the top of the case above the power supply.  

Also, in an 8600/9600, you either do 2*3.5" hard disks (although you want to check clearances on a 9600 using the bottom PCI slot) or 1* 5.25" drive, which was still a thing you could buy in 1997. I think you can even mount a full height 5.25" disk in that position of the 8600 without interfering with any PCI cards. I would, of course, have to check, though. In the 9600, you can do it, but it would interfere with the bottom few PCI slots.

Could be. It has been over a decade since I stuck my head into my Beige G3 mt to look around, I just use it once in a while. I think I have that bottom tray in my 8600 with a couple UW-SCSI attached to it. The 8600 and 9600 case I think are the same so you might have clearance issues with the PCI slots. So easy to work inside those cases compared to the generation before.

So my bezel arrived today. Some interesting observations.

The 9600/8600 bezel's emergency eject hole (there's an actual term for that, but I don't know it...) is positioned closer to the eject button than that of the G3, which doesn't bother me as the CD-R drive has its pinhole emergency eject closer to the left-hand side of the drive anyway, so neither one would work. Oh well. Interesting to note that the G3 MT eject switch plastic has provision for this closer proximity eject hole.
wJUNZfS.jpg

The G3 looks better now it's got the two CD bezels instead of a nasty hole (or useless zip bezel, as I don't have a drive). Unknown_K my apologies, I haven't gotten a shipping quote to you, now I have a job again I can devote some time vintage Mac pursuits! 

jzPeLYb.jpg

Edit: it does need a good clean with the magic eraser though, doesn't it? :/ 

Edited by jessenator

Apple used specific brands/models of optical drives for the Biege G3 and for the 8600/9600 so they made the holes for those drives. Sticking in a aftermarket CDRW replacement for example means the holes do not line up correctly.