Sign in to follow this  
gryffinwings

Macintosh SE FDHD expansion slot???

It's the slot circled in the pic below.  There aren't as many options for it, or at least not many options that you can still easily find, as compared to the SE/30 but it offers similar expansion options like network cards, video cards, and CPU accelerators.  The SE PDS and SE/30 PDS implementations are not compatible however so you have to make sure whatever you're buying is specifically for the SE.

1014299001_semobo.thumb.jpg.f1f1c695f8abe91fb25a8da76d29d6d2.jpg

Back before I traded my away my SE I had a rather nice accelerator installed that bumped the machine up to a 68030/40 with 16MB RAM:

4 hours ago, EvilCapitalist said:

It's the slot circled in the pic below.  There aren't as many options for it, or at least not many options that you can still easily find, as compared to the SE/30 but it offers similar expansion options like network cards, video cards, and CPU accelerators.  The SE PDS and SE/30 PDS implementations are not compatible however so you have to make sure whatever you're buying is specifically for the SE.

1014299001_semobo.thumb.jpg.f1f1c695f8abe91fb25a8da76d29d6d2.jpg

Back before I traded my away my SE I had a rather nice accelerator installed that bumped the machine up to a 68030/40 with 16MB RAM:

Are you talking about something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16MHz-020-Accelerator-upgrade-CPU-FPU-card-for-Apple-Macintosh-SE-68020/254227173389?hash=item3b311ed00d:g:proAAOSwfiZc1eyp&frcectupt=true

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, that's a good example of the types of accelerators that are available.  What would give me pause with that listing is that it's only a 68020 and the seller specifically states they don't have a driver for it or know what driver would work with it.  These days it's getting increasingly hard to track down drivers for the more obscure accelerators so if it's not something that can be easily identified and a driver found before purchase, personally, I'd pass.