Sign in to follow this  
gryffinwings

Monitor Solution for Macintosh IIci?

Does anyone have a monitor solution for the Macintosh IIci that doesn't break the bank, proper CRTs are not easy to find or they are expensive on eBay. I would also like the solution to work with a PowerPC Macintosh 7200/90 that I got at the same time. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

I'd recommend a 17" or 19" LCD monitor that's 1280x1024.  It scales perfectly to 640x480, which is a nice fallback resolution or if your old Mac loses its resolution settings like after a PRAM reset.  I also have a couple games that only run at 640x480.  You can find 17" and 19" LCDs used (and occasionally new) for around $50-$60 shipped.  Just make sure you get in writing that the LCD is free of dead and/or stuck pixels.  If you don't mind spending $100, you can get a brand new one from most online stores like B&H or Adorama with free shipping and no tax.

You'll also want to pick up an adapter like this one.  Older Macs don't always play nice with LCDs, and the adapter can help with that.

Edited by olePigeon

3 minutes ago, olePigeon said:

I'd recommend a 17" or 19" LCD monitor that's 1280x1024.  It scales perfectly to 640x480, which is a nice fallback resolution or if your old Mac loses its resolution settings like after a PRAM reset.  I also have a couple games that only run at 640x480.  You can find 17" and 19" LCDs used (and occasionally new) for around $50-$60 shipped.  Just make sure you get in writing that the LCD is free of dead and/or stuck pixels.  If you don't mind spending $100, you can get a brand new one from most online stores like B&H or Adorama with free shipping and no tax.

You'll also want to pick up an adapter like this one.  Older Macs don't always play nice with LCDs, and the adapter can help with that.

So... I already have an DELL LCD with a VGA connection, I'll take a look at the adapter.

The linked adapter should be suitable for a IIci, but another idea for your 7200, which supports multisync video, is to find a db15 to hd15 video cable or an adapter without switches. (Or: you'll spend a lot of time re-configuring the switches on the adapter between 640x480, which is what the IIci generally supports, and 1024x768 or 1152x870, which I believe is the maximum a stock 7200 can run. (At some point 1280x1024 was added but I forget which models have it.)

One gotcha is that the IIci is said not to support the plain 60Hz VGA video mode, but most reasonably good LCDs (dell UltraSharp in particular) should be able to handle 67Hz input.

The onboard video of the IIci only supports up to around 640x480, perhaps 670x800, however there are video cards that can support more. 

11 hours ago, Crutch said:

I recently bought one of these switchless adapters to see my IIci video on an LCD VGA screen. Works great. C2G 02902 Mac DB15 Male to VGA... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J1JAE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Interesting, what model monitor are you using?  I have a couple of older Dell LCD monitors that I can use.

Do you have just a factory IIci or have you done anything to it?

So... I found a local electronics recycling company and found out after I left that they do indeed have a monitor that might work:

Model: Apple Color Plus 14" Display

Model No: M1787

The guy that contacted me tells me that the monitor has been tested and works, however, the power switch is acting up

and need to put something on it to keep it on. He says the button appears to be loose and doesn't think it's pushing far

enough for the switch to lock. I was quoted $35.

What do you guys think?

It’s sort of a funny story.  I found a Daystar Turbo 040 accelerator on a Japanese auction site for a reasonable price and bought it for my SE/303 ... but not being able to read Japanese, it turns out that Daystar 040 accelerator came inside a perfectly good IIci with a RasterOps video card.  I took out the 040 card and sold the IIci + RasterOps on eBay after playing with it for a while.

Anyway I use that adapter with a “Loncevon” 7” VGA LCD I bought on Amazon for about $50.  I got it just for testing old video cards, but it’s perfectly usable as a tiny monitor for a IIci.

Just to be completely clear, was the adapter connected to the IIci's onboard video, or the RasterOps video card?

As an early Mac with an integrated graphics system, the IIci has relatively unique output capabilities, so it would be good to know, for super sure.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:29 PM, gryffinwings said:

So... I found a local electronics recycling company and found out after I left that they do indeed have a monitor that might work:

Model: Apple Color Plus 14" Display

Model No: M1787

The guy that contacted me tells me that the monitor has been tested and works, however, the power switch is acting up

and need to put something on it to keep it on. He says the button appears to be loose and doesn't think it's pushing far

enough for the switch to lock. I was quoted $35.

What do you guys think?

Yes, I run this monitor on my IIci. It works excellent! It's the perfect monitor for this machine.

IMG_2024.jpg

16 hours ago, UnaClocker said:

Yes, I run this monitor on my IIci. It works excellent! It's the perfect monitor for this machine.

IMG_2024.jpg

Thank you for the information, I wasn't quite sure. I'm looking at picking it up tomorrow with the anticipation of having to fix the power switch.

They may THINK the power switch is broken. Don't be too hasty. The power switch is ignored if there's no video signal coming into the monitor. Automatic sleep mode. I've pressed my like new monitor's button a few times going WTH?! And then turned on the computer and it instantly lit up. Too smart for it's own good.