Sign in to follow this  
corgski

Burning CDs for Performa 637CD

Hey!

Does anyone know of CD brands or burners that are more likely to produce discs that can read by these old 2x drives?  I have some Sony 700MB CD-Rs which are extremely hit and miss for me but I don't know if Memorex or Vivitar or some other brand works better.

What timing, I've literally just been doing this for my 630.

So in answering your question, it really depends what you intend on what kind of CDs you want to make, the burner and (half decent quality) CD-R's shouldn't matter too much (avoid RW's though!).

With ISO files and most other disc images, you should be able to burn them on any machine and/or configuration that can handle the files (for example, I use PowerISO for Windows).

If you want to drag and drop files and use CDs like a thumb drive (that once burned you can't re-write obviously), then that's more tricky.

To achieve this you need an OS that can handle plain old HFS (not HFS+).

The last OS to support that legacy is Leopard, and if you don't have a good DL burner, it's a bit of a pain to install (possibly impossible on most modern Mac's too).

I managed to get Leopard on my Mac Pro 3, 1.

From personal experience, my external 600 drive hates them, and the 300 / 600 internal ones seem to mostly read them ok but not always 100% successfully, often having a bit of 'data garbage' that you never intended to add. 

There's loads of tutorials on how to do this. Il link you to them of nobody else does in the next 24 hours, but right now it's half 3 in the morning and I'm about to pass out.

One thing I will say is I strongly recommend that you burn at the slowest speed possible.

Edited by tokyoracer
Added info.

I've got tiger on my G5 and so far I'm just trying to burn ISOs and bin/cues of old CDs I ripped and got rid of back in my decluttering days. They'll read fine on my iMac G3 which is running 9.1 but barely or not at all on my 637CD, which is why I'm wondering if it's the brand of media. Pressed CDs (both HFS only and hybrid) read fine.

If I could get my 6400 running I'd just drop a PCI ethernet card in and use it as a localtalk bridge to bypass needing CDs altogether but sadly I have no systems that can network with the 637 right now.

Edited by corgski

Do you have an ethernet card in the 637?  If not... they're readily available and cheap... best upgrade you can do on an old machine.  Install all the TCP/IP and AppleShare stuff and you will be able to share with just about anything.

Which one would I need? When I checked ebay for comm slot cards it looked like it was all modems.

The lasers are probably getting old and some dyes used on newer CDR don't reflect enough light back for the old drives to work (compared to s silver pressed CD).

13 hours ago, corgski said:

Which one would I need? When I checked ebay for comm slot cards it looked like it was all modems.

Pretty sure you can use either a comm slot (1) card or LCPDS like you’d find in an LC/II/III/475 etc, assuming your PDS slot is not occupied by anything already.