PotatoFi

3D Print Replica HD 20 SC Enclosure?

I pulled mine apart to post a pic of the wiring harness at the back of the PSU for someone with the tape drive who's using it for SCSI2SD. I think I'll start a new thread for that teardown/mod and for a few suggestions related to your pronect. Still loving my CD-SC riff on your project though. Using a standard trayloader design opens up an interesting possibility for you SCSI2SD lovers. Looks to me like I can hack an IDE Trayloader for the tray as your SCSI2SD carrier. No need for power, poke something in the eject hole and it pops open so you can pull the tray all the way out, unhook the unit if needs be for removal or just tilt it up change the SD card or hook up a USB cable? Dunno not my cuppa joe yet, but I thought I'd mention it.

The first version's too shallow for the SCSI2SD: AppleCD_SC-20SC-00-000.PDF

Still think you should be designing to full size and doing your prototypes at 80% if that'll fit. You can recoup filament development costs as folks will buy as many as you make for SCSI2SD and other project boxes that don't need to be full size ZFP Compact Mas support platforms. Someone will jump in to print the full size prototypes for you when the cute lil' ones work to your satisfaction. [:)]

Double post, the other window is still hanging. ::)@maceffects for a clear version of this case you'll have to come up with the HD-SC correct looking stuffings. Printed 5.25" HDD and PSU project boxes for inside could be great projects for other 3D modeler to play around with for the clear version while the Spud does his thing.

Have fun with this, I'll try to stay strictly on topic from now on in here.

AppleCD_SC-20SC-00-000.PDF

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Here are a couple of pics showing details of the CDSC-SCSI2SD thought process that are directly applicable to you prototyping:

Inverted-SCSI2SD-escape-Hatch.thumb.JPG.70148061c7a1777517b7326961c0cf7e.JPG

This was very disappointing at first, ther's only about 7mm of the 15mm required under an Optical/Bernoulli/SqQuest iteration of the HDSC project. But that led me back to my inverted sub-basement IIsi PDS card installation ploy. That strategy almost certainly requires removal of a section of the case bottom for sleeping bat headroom for the two PDS cards.

Fabulous notion for the SCSI2SD-SC however! No room for the armored cover on the bottom escape hatch of an armored fighting vehicle, but none would be needed. An access opening in the floor of your 20SC build for the SCSI2SD would allow full access to the SCSI2SD for card changes/USB hookup and removal of the unit without cracking the case. [;)]

Signpainter Scaled MiniSC case prototype print illustrations.

20SC-Signpainterscaling-00.JPG.1d4e725f10f75101ef741a2ec698a919.JPG

Every inch represents 10%.

20SC-Signpainterscaling-01.thumb.JPG.2acf940fdc563ad4d4a0376e0e2a99a3.JPG

Prototyping your parts in one piece at 70% yields a series of 3.5" MiniPeripheral-SC cases we can buy from you to "Back" development by purchasing new toys! If it doesn't need to support a Compact, there's your MiniSD-SCSI2SD case in a 6.5" width format with full access bottom section. putting a hole in the bottom of each 70% prototype would save on filament for each iteration. Sign me up for miniature Proto20SC.00. :approve:

edit: black box has power plug socket at one end and MOLEX on that cable and are included with inexpensive bi-directional SATA/IDE converters.

OK, I'll drop the push for a scaled prototyping approach right after this. [;)]

Apple-MiniSC7-SCSI2SD-0-00.thumb.jpg.6523fbd109fea90cb794076960ed0a95.jpg

SCSI2SD-hatch-20SC-70pct-00.PDF

Print the PDF unscaled  and lay your SCSI2SD down on the paper. Nice box, not too little, not too big and it'll hold the PSU above, a 3.5" HDD and a fan in lieu of SCSI2SD. I'm liking that escape hatch in the bottom of the hull approach more and more. I'll make my own thread soon for tangential discussions and for hacking the real deal.

edit: forgot to mention folding up the attached side panels, but that's pretty obvious I would think.

15 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

@PotatoFi did you have a chance to get in some quality playtime with the HD 20SC this weekend or did you make time for much higher quality play with the family?

Great question, I was just headed over here to give a quick "update"! Sadly, some other things demanded my attention this week, including some urgent maintenance issues on the house and as you guessed, family time. I will admit that I did print this potato:

570587996_photo_2019-05-1220_44_52.thumb.jpeg.e562ec65ffcfc7093578d8f8d82483f3.jpeg

But, I have received the HD 20SC. It's in great shape, but sadly I can't see if it works because I don't have the proper cable. 

As for first impressions: printable, but it's actually deeper than the Mac by an inch or so (didn't know this!) so I can't print the top and bottom as one piece on my printer. Still, I think we can work around this. Perhaps for "full size" versions, it's actually only the depth of the base of the compact Mac? And I love the ideas about scaling it down, making it modular. Looking forward to getting to work on this project. Soon... real soon!

Rough ACSII art representation of hair dryer process bent clip-side-top-side-clip single part print. Did you say the outer surface to platen orientation was your preference? If so, the art for the pre-bent print is inverted. A series of properly spaced, proper depth V notches will result in the desired corner radius. That's the way you bend plywood around a corner, but with a series of saw cuts in place of V grooves.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

/                                                                                                                     \

I                                                                                                                        |

I                                                                                                                        |

|                                                                                                                        |

\ __                                                                                                               __/

__ _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

|__/\/\___________________/\/\_________________________________________________________________________________________/\/\___________________/\/\__|

For a plexi fab with snow white line: the V grooves would be done first along with registration holes and lap joint flats if necessary. The workpiece would then be flipped onto a jig for line detailing and lap joint flats. Again, the number of V grooves and spacing determine bend radius. With plexi you get heat gun . . . or bending wire setup.

This view posted above would have side clips outboard of the sides and top where I put the bottom side in this view, grooves re-positioned to match.

Apple-MiniSC7-SCSI2SD-0-00.jpg

Oblique view of ski ramp SCSI2SD installation. Chassis/bottom of case and clips for bezel/backplane and grooved mating surface for clips on the bent top would be one fairly complicated module with a higher profile than the other "three" sections for things like inverted ski ramp SCSI2SD supports. Cips for the 3.5" single drive PSU and 3.5" drives would be molded into the base module. That would be held in place for the standard power plug positioned at the rear for use with standard power cord. Front and back modules would be overlapped by the clip-side-top-side-clip assembly. Bottom chassis module/front bezel module/backplane module assembly would act as jig for hair dryer bending processes. 

HDSC-70pct-SCSI2SD-EscapeHatch-00.JPG

That's it for info specific to your project, I'll head back to my own sandbox now. [;)]

Ok, I've finally had some time to sit down and work on this project! Here's where the model is at right now:

29720318_ScreenShot2019-05-19at8_12_52PM.thumb.png.e588e17432b59580c1c07bb148851e17.png

So far, it's basically just a shell, but it is dimensionally accurate. What's not done is all interior drawing, the back, and rounded corners. So there's quite a bit left, but the basic shape is there.

One thing I realized immediately on getting the hard drive is that it's deeper than the base of a Macintosh. That was a pretty fatal blow to printing it on my printer... I knew it was going to be tight, but not this tight. Here's a view in my slicer application, from the bottom so you can see the size of the print bed.

1759708205_ScreenShot2019-05-19at8_14_23PM.thumb.png.6d7ae7ef12c5a136b7f976840e44efd5.png

Still, doing a "shallower" version on my printer is still a possibility, as we're good on width - just not depth. I'll keep working on things. 1/4 scale version printing now, will post an update tonight or tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Nice! Will SCSI2SD fit into that scale model or is it a tad too small?

Haha, too small for sure! But don't worry... I think a SCSI2SD version sounds like a great idea, and wouldn't be hard to do. I really like your ideas around a "modular" approach that could allow a lot of different configurations. 3D printing is perfect for "one-off" parts, after all.

Just now, maceffects said:

@PotatoFi Looks great so far, nice work!

Thanks! Hoping for some time to work on it this weekend. I've got way too many concurrent projects right now...

Just now, PotatoFi said:

Thanks! Hoping for some time to work on it this weekend. I've got way too many concurrent projects right now...

You don't have to tell me what that is like ;):lol::cool:

Hey guys, just wanted to update you to say that I REALLY REALLY WANT TO WORK ON THIS. But... I've had a million things pop up. Surprise business trips, cooling system died in my car (about to go tear into that right now), and maintenance issues on the house. So keep an eye on the thread... but it might be 3 weeks or so before I can touch this again. Soon!

@PotatoFi  What 3d printer do you have?  I've got a monoprice mini select v2 which works great but is only 12 x 12 x 10 build area.  I've been looking at the new Prusa or Creality but those are around 21 cm sq x z axis which is normally enough.  Your printer seems to have a bigger build area than that. 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, superjer2000 said:

@PotatoFi  What 3d printer do you have?  I've got a monoprice mini select v2 which works great but is only 12 x 12 x 10 build area.  I've been looking at the new Prusa or Creality but those are around 21 cm sq x z axis which is normally enough.  Your printer seems to have a bigger build area than that. 

I have a Prusa i3 MK2S. I've had about a dozen 3D printers since building my first in 2011... if you want to upgrade, get a Prusa. It's so good that I just can't recommend anything else. Build volume is 25x21x21 cm, or 9.84x8.3x8.3 inches.

2 hours ago, Crutch said:

@PotatoFi looking great so far!  FWIW I’ve always thought the fact that the 20SC is deeper than a classic Mac to be a bug, not a feature.  I would be delighted with one that actually fits snugly, HD20-style!

Whoa, okay so the HD20 was the same depth as the Mac, and the 20SC is deeper?! That sounds like a bug to me as well! That solves the "my printer isn't deep enough" problem I guess!

Edit: Here's a photo of my printer, and basically all of my Macs, excluding laptops. :)

IMG_0351.thumb.JPG.155dcf18528426457b7ee1c83404b165.JPG

Edited by PotatoFi

Well ... The HD20 is actually deeper too, but only in the one area that sort of sticks out the back, on the right side where the fan is.  It’s a correctly-sized Mac riser with a lump stuck to it, basically.  (A 3D-printed replica HD20 case without the lump would be perfect for mounting a SCSI2SD inside!)

The 20SC is just too deep all the way across.  It always bothered me.  I guess it would look fine sitting atop a Mac II box.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:04 AM, Crutch said:

@PotatoFi looking great so far!  FWIW I’ve always thought the fact that the 20SC is deeper than a classic Mac to be a bug, not a feature.  I would be delighted with one that actually fits snugly, HD20-style!

It's neither actually. Every ZFP case I've ever had shares the same form factor (limitation) due to component specs involved. Remember there's a 5.25" SCSI drive with drive connector to cable to connector and passthru connector inhabiting that cubic. HD20 components/requirements were less constricting. In the day, ZFP form factor was an overriding function over form feature which really doesn't matter to this day considering overall cable cubic at the rear of any Mac

Modularity again rears its ugly head. Shorter top and bottom sections for a more aesthetically pleasing length using unitized stock backplane and front bezel poses no problem. Customized removable media drive front bezels would be coupled with standard 5.25" form factor parts. In every modular case setup, printer limitations become less problematic.