Sign in to follow this  
Daxeria

Unique Japanese Mac Plus ROM?

From Tech Note #138:

The Japanese Macintosh Plus has the Kanji 12 and 18 point fonts in ROM [...] Note that the Japanese Macintosh is unique; Apple has not produced other foreign versions of the Macintosh for different scripts. The introduction of the Arabic Interface System, for example, did not include an Arabic ROM version.

Has this ROM variant ever been dumped?

1 hour ago, Paralel said:

From a quick look around, not that I can tell.

Did you check the Japanese Mac sites too in your quick look? The Japanese are big classic Mac fans, and they will certainly have access to a JP Plus ROM.

Nope. My Japanese isn't strong enough to parse out the proper search phrasing, and I wouldn't trust an auto-translator.

That's interesting because one of the early HW tech notes from Apple claims that there are only 3 revisions of the Mac Plus ROMs, Lonely Hearts, Lonely Heifers, and Loud Harmonica.   And the latter two revisions only changed 2 and 32 bytes of code to fix SCSI edge cases. 

I wonder if the documenters were not well hooked into what was going on with international models.

hw_11.pdf

Edited by trag

That's interesting because one of the early HW tech notes from Apple claims that there are only 3 revisions of the Mac Plus ROMs,

A tech note that is most likely intended to apply only to the standard, canonical Mac Plus ROM.

2 hours ago, trag said:

I wonder if the documenters were not well hooked into what was going on with international models.

That's probably not the case. More likely is that they were documenting the standard, canonical ROM in the earlier tech note. Look at Tech Note #138, the genesis of this thread. Obviously that was documentation.

Edited by Dog Cow

Ah.  Thank you for pointing that out.   I was looking at "new content", but somehow, I never saw the first posting.