Sign in to follow this  
beachycove

SE/30 versus Classic II speed

Does the SE/30 have any significant speed advantage over the Classic II? LEM says they are about the same, which I find surprising, given the 32-bit bus in the SE/30 and the 16-bit in the Classic II. Processors, of course, are both 68030 @ 16mhz.

Any thoughts?

Interesting hypothesis, though I must admit that non-statistically I feel that the SE/30 is faster.  That said, the Classic II us certainty more limited in terms of expandability, thus allowing for less possible overall speed. 

The SE/30 is substantially faster. LEMs Speedometer benchmarks seem fishy to me between the Classic II and the SE/30 but their Mac Bench shows 1.8 for the Classic II and 3.2 for the SE/30 which seems about right. Side by side the Classic II is a dog. Some guy even did a YouTube video showing it. 

Benchmarks always lie, one way or the other if not both ways and a third at the same time.

IRL it probably depends upon tasking more than anything. The HDD in the Classic II was likely a bit snappier than the drives shipped in early SE/30 production. But throughput's probably the same unless Combo is a tad faster than the SCSI implementation in the SE/30, it could hardly be slower. If your application isn't memory intensive, but CPU a/o disk limited instead, I doubt you could feel or quantify much of a difference.

With the supplemental ROM/FPU card, the Classic II kicks he crap out of the SE/30 in math operations

BIG TIME Classic II/SE/30 butt kicker! [:P]

edit: IIsi with its 25% clock bump is considerably faster than the either as well. Just about any card for it has the option for FPU installation on its faster 32-bit PDS.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini