AlpineRaven

AppleCD SC - m2850

I just bought an American 100-120v AppleCD SC m2850 off ebay.

Thing is, here in Australia its 240v - does anyone know how to convert from 120v to 240v? I vaguely seen someone doing that a few years ago
Cheers

AP

120v/240v slide switches are usually located on the back of Apple's PSUs. Stepping a 240v line down to 120v here is no biggie, you use only one of the two hot legs and neutral. I'll guess you have inexpensive converters to power 120v equipment available? I'll assume that's how 120/220 PSU's do it. Going from 120v to 240v here is no problem as we've got two of three phases hooked to mains in almost every dwelling and construction done since about the fifties..

It's worth double checking on your unit, but I checked images of the M2850 and the label on the 100-120v version I found shows 50/60Hz.  This means you can use a step down transformer from the Australian 240v 50Hz mains.  It's important to use a transformer rather than a converter. 

Converters tend to be smaller and cheaper, as well as being rated for higher wattages. (often 1600 watts) They work okay for hair dryers and other resistive loads, but not electronics.  They use a triac to rapidly switch the mains on and off to achieve an average of 120v, but the triac doesn't work properly without a significant resistive load and its output is very noisy and potentially damaging.

Ultimately, you may be able to modify the power supply in your drive by disabling a voltage doubler circuit (if it has one), but I'd suggest using it with a step down transformer at least to begin with.

Here's an example on eBay Australia: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STEP-DOWN-TRANSFORMER-STEPDOWN-240V-110V-200Watt-Beige/132867110059

Edited by rsolberg
Added note about operation of triac in converters.