Sign in to follow this  
Mikeyy00

G4 Cube DVDRW drive

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way to mount a standard IDE laptop DVD (slot load) drive into a Cube? It seems the Cube and the slot-load iMac G3 use a drive that's quite a bit physically larger than your typical laptop slot load drive.

I see some old mentions about a guy at Cube Owner who 3D printed a bracket.. but those links all seem to be dead, and I can't find a way to contact him.

MCE still sells a SuperDrive.. but it's like $99, where I can find a iMac G5 slot load drive for closer to $20. If anyone knows an easy way to mount a standard drive, I'd appreciate some tips.

Thanks!

The early PBG4s used that same drive, but I think they were all Matsushita units where the Cube and iMac mostly used LG units. Either way they were huge and not terribly reliable, and with the rubber on the loading rollers and drive belts dried out after so many years, they tend to be unusable. I don't bother with the internal drive in my Cubes; I just use an external FW DVDRW that's faster and easier to use than any of the slot-loaders I've come across.

MCE sells the mounting bracket that you would need included in the $99 kit, whereas the $69 kit assumes you already have the mounting bracket. The bracket is pretty simple, just some stamped sheet metal. Other people have apparently gutted the old drive and mounted the new one in its case (like on this tonymacx86 thread.) Otherwise try using the Wayback Machine with Cube Owner to see if you can recover the pages relevant to 3D printing a bracket (though I'd imagine this would be the most labor-intensive option).

I replaced the optical drive in my cube with one from a slot loading iMac. There's a little adapter circuitboard that plugged into the back of the cube drive that I moved over to the iMac drive. Like Franklinstein I mostly used an external.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards external Firewire. Really no downside going that way, and it seems like you can find new-old stock on fleabay for well under $100.. not to mention, non-slot load drives are faster.