Brett B.

LC630 DOS Compatible supports 64MB SIMMs - 84MB total!

I got two of these 64MB 72 pin SIMMs quite a while back and finally got around to using them.  One went into my LC475 where it worked great, and not unexpectedly.  The other was destined for my LC630 DOS Compatible machine which allegedly has a ceiling of 52MB - 32 in one slot, 16 in the other, and 4MB onboard.  I know for a fact that the 16MB card is the absolute max for the first slot (tried a 32MB stick in it, no luck) but the second was unknown.

Now we know!  Can't promise YOUR Q/LC630 will support these, but mine does.  SUPER excited about this.

large.KIMG1370.JPG.29ab2c5165a3af54785bd6276031d300.JPGlarge.KIMG1371.JPG.9ca3d55952516070f2c87e31e6faa3f6.JPG

Yeah, the Mac side will support a 64mb ram stick, but the PC side not so much. The 630dos board is the same board that comes in a lc 580, with the main difference being that it has an extra ram slot when compared to a regular 630.

Just for fun I ordered a 128MB SIMM.  We'll see if that works, 148MB memory would be dope.

I will have to try the 64MB stick on the DOS card.  I'd be shocked if it works.  I was surprised that it worked on the Mac side.

I also tried two Kingston 64MB SIMMs in my 6200/5260/120 machine and only 64MB was recognized there.  Odd.

Well, it appears that it also supports 128MB modules!  Sweet!

I also have confirmation that the DOS card definitely does NOT support my 64MB stick.  It showed up as a 16MB module.  32MB works fine.  Kinda weird but whatever.

KIMG1390.jpg

Actually, all of these motherboards which have two SIMM slots support one single bank SIMM and one dual bank SIMM, so you can have a 64 meg SIMM and a 128 meg SIMM, plus the four on the motherboard for a total of 196 megs.

Hmm, now to find a 64MB single bank SIMM.  I know the 32MB and 64MB ones I have now will not work in the single bank slot.  

FWIW this 128MB stick I got was from "memorymasters" on eBay and is FPM, non-parity, 60ns