Johnnya101

John's SE #1 Rebuild

26 minutes ago, unity said:

You use a PLASTIC Allen-type (hex) screwdriver to adjust those. Do not use anything metal while in operation. Cheap things like these usually work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pc-TV-Radio-CB-Ham-Alignment-Tool-Kit-Set-Philmore-63-8454-NIP/122426208479?hash=item1c812bb0df:g:IbMAAOSwQaJXRQLz

Right!  I read about the dangers of using a screwdriver, so I have a whittled down wooden chopstick :-) It worked for brightness.  But... there is _nothing_ to turn in the width.  It is a hole, it looks like a metal spring in a straw and I can see right through it.  I could push a skewer through.  

So I am confused, I am supposed to turn the "spring"?

Edited by K Trueno

Pics? But I am still certain you are just looking at an adjustment pot. If you look inside you should be able to see the hex shape.

16 minutes ago, unity said:

Pics? But I am still certain you are just looking at an adjustment pot. If you look inside you should be able to see the hex shape.

Don't have it handy at the moment, but, the hole on shield lines up with a hole on the PCB which leads to the tube/straw thing circled, and it is hollow.  No screw or hex anything inside.  Its like looking down an empty toilet paper tube :-)

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 1.50.13 PM.png

Edited by K Trueno

The width adjustment is a coil with a pressed-metal slug inside, which is threaded. One turns that slug (which has a hex/Allen key shaped hole running through) to adjust the width.

Judging by your description and the picture, I'd say that the slug is probably stripped out, probably because it crumbled when you or someone in the past tried to adjust it (in my experience, I've found that they tend to be rather brittle, and hence tend to crumble if one isn't too careful while adjusting them, especially with metal tools (used when the machine is off)).

The best/easiest solution is probably to find a new, intact slug somehow.

c

Right, so there should be something in that spring in that tube.. makes sense!  I guess if I can get my hands on a parts machine I might be able to thread one out and thread one in?  Or just replace the whole part altogether.  Mystery solved, thanks for everyones help and insight!

Edited by K Trueno

So what’s that do? I thought the screen adjustments where on the cardboard side? Of the a/b analogue board 

Edited by SE30_Neal

Odd. On the bottom of that should be the hex part. Look through the other side, should be there. I guess they can strip out but I never have seen that before.

5 hours ago, unity said:

Odd. On the bottom of that should be the hex part. Look through the other side, should be there. I guess they can strip out but I never have seen that before.

Yup, its gonzo!  Here is a pic, I'm holding a blue piece of cardboard behind it.

IMG_4045.JPG

Oh I am wrong!  Its see through but the inside is the hex shape, so its not a screw but its a barrel that spins within the "straw".  Ahhhh maybe that will help you SE30_Neal! 

9 hours ago, CC_333 said:

(which has a hex/Allen key shaped hole running through)

1 minute ago, unity said:

Yeah... thats what I said.

Yup indeed.  My confusion came from expecting a screw head of some sort.  Thank you all!

1 hour ago, K Trueno said:

Oh I am wrong!  Its see through but the inside is the hex shape, so its not a screw but its a barrel that spins within the "straw".  Ahhhh maybe that will help you SE30_Neal! 

Thanks Trueno. I have just brought a replacement analogue board so it’s a good time to look at this and align the screen properly once ive re-capped it of course :)