Johnnya101

Quadra 700 gets stuck at happy mac

Weird issue with my Quadra.

Has 7.5.5 installed. Turned it on today and it boots to happy Mac... And stays there. Booted off an external CD drive to the legacy disc, and used disk repair. Repaired a few things. Booted to HD. Stuck at happy Mac.

Any ideas?

Not the drive I don't think... It opens fine with all files intact while on the CD.

Zapped pram. No difference.

Holding down shift does nothing.

All ram appears in about.

Did a virus check. Nothing.

Right after pressing the on button, I see the hard drive activity light flash a few times, then the CD ROMs. Doesn't matter if CD ROM is plugged in or not.

I don't think it's a stuck drive since it verifies fine and reads data fine...

Edit

Reinstalled OS after formatting with HD SC on that partition. Nothing. Still gets stuck.

Edited by Johnnya101

Could have been tour hard disk driver file...it may have been corrupt or too new to work with your install...most

likely corrupt.

Onstalling 7.6 would replace it, which would have solved the problem.

Now I remember why it might have been corrupted. I stupidly, when testing my new LED hard drive cables would just plug them in and turn it on, wait a few minutes for it to boot to desktop, and shut it off. No shut down command. That must have corrupted it somehow? Never had an issue like that before. Its running 7.6.1 great now. 

With any system more complex than MS-DOS you should always run the proper shutdown command, otherwise corruption of the disk is a possibility. When you issue the shutdown command to the Mac OS it halts all disk activity, preventing random corruption from interrupting read/write.

If you did that on lets say a Solaris UNIX system you would get a very nasty warning from the kernel upon bootup, where it would then begin the process of checking and repairing the file system.