MacFox

What to do about this Zip Drive in my G4?

1 hour ago, Cory5412 said:

Notably, I, personally, am engaged in building out a collection of different removable media, because the topic and the technologies interest me extensively, and I still haven't gotten any of my LS-120 drives working because I haven't bothered to buy the special cleaning disk, which you need to use the drive at all, because normal cleaning floppies will not work in those drives.

Cory, could you post a link to this cleaning disk?  I am not finding it, but I am not sure what I am looking for.

1 hour ago, Cory5412 said:

USB floppy drives are that much better because, as I mentioned, they're easy to clean and they're generally still compatible with diskcopy6, and are still suitable for writing diskettes for a CC, but, if you have a network, I wouldn't even bother with that.

I have a collection of floppy disks for the Color Classic Mystic.  So installing a floppy drive in the B&W works for me.  If I can not get the one I bought to fit correctly or not look bad in the slot, I can always plug in a USB floppy drive....

Yeah, but how many of those things will work in a Mac?

For my part, the way most of my towers have been set up since I started having towers, it's usually more convenient for me to have any user-accessible i/o or ports connected to hubs or to my monitor, which is one of the reasons I tend to favor Dell UltraSharp displays over Apple's own: they lack the (largely, to me, useless) firewire connectors and add more accessible USB connectors. In addition, along these lines, my card readers are usually USB based units that are either desktop or I've connected to USB exteension cables so I can grab them wherever it's handy.

But, that's just based on the way I configure my desks. Back in 2003-2006 when I was using my blue-and-white, it was usually on the floor, often behind my actual desk, so I would have to stand up and walk around and lean over to connect anything to it.

I don't happen to have a link to the superdisk cleaning link handy.

As far as disks for your CC: image them there and use the network to move them to your G3 for further duplication/backup. diskcopy6 and its images will work well on both of those systems.

4 minutes ago, Cory5412 said:

Yeah, but how many of those things will work in a Mac?

Probably all of it. Everything but the Card Reader (USB2.0) is a straight copper trace connection from loopback cable connector to front panel connector, even eSATA. It's 5.25" with two PCBs that can be cup apart by function of mixing an matching I/O choices for 3.5' form factor to some extent. I've yet to run into a beneric USB card reader I couldn't use on the QS  .  .  .  until they broke.