FrancescoDS

Problems with IIsi and Portrait Display

I have just tried that pin-out and the monitor stays black.

Just to make sure I got things correctly:

- I connected the three "pink" wires on the 13W3 together and then connected them to a single wire that goes to pin 11 on the DA-15

- I connected the two "blue" wires on the 13W3 together and then connected them to a single wire that goes to pin 4 on the DA-15 and then connected pin 4 to pin 7.

Is that correct?

I toned out my portrait display cable a while ago for another member.  It's a little different than what jt posted.  Mainly the outside barrels are swapped, and there is no short between pin 4 and pin 7.  Drawing is while looking at the cable ends.

portrait_cable.jpg.1c5d92209399b93da44acf9dcc6248d3.jpg

Edited by joethezombie

Portrait Cable Pinout.JPG

That's very odd about the coaxial connector swap, but makes no nevermind on a grayscale display. You're running RGB tied together(?) and it shouldn't matter which is which I would think.

The pink critter on my diagram is the same connections to pin 11 that you show on your diagram, it just looked different to me for a bit.

The cable I buzzed is definitely set up for the 21" Two-Page Grayscale Display, having 4 and 7 tied together. They must be Sense 0 and Sense 1.  For the Portrait Sense 1 needs do be in the same state as Sense 2.

https://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~davis/projects/mac/monitor.html#msp
-------
The three tables below summarize the contents of this tech note.
Table S-1  Sense Line Code Assignments
--------------------------------------
Monitor Type          Sense 2  Sense 1  Sense 0  Frame Rate (Hz)
------------          -------  -------  -------  ---------------
RGB 21"                 0        0        0         75.08
Full-Page (B&W 15")     0        0        1         75.08
RGB 12"                 0        1        0         60.15
Two-Page (B&W 21")      0        1        1         75.08
NTSC Monitor            1        0        0         59.94  
RGB 15"                 1        0        1         75.08
Hi-Res (12-14")         1        1        0         66.67
Multiple Scan 14" *     1        1        0        See Table 1
Multiple Scan 16" *     1        1        0        See Table 1
Multiple Scan 21" *     1        1        0        See Table 1
No Display Connected    1        1        1          NA
PAL Encoder *           1        1        1         50.00  
NTSC Encoder *          1        1        1         59.94  
VGA *                   1        1        1         59.94
Super VGA *             1        1        1         55.98
RGB 16" *               1        1        1         74.55
PAL Monitor *           1        1        1         50.00  
RGB 19" *               1        1        1         74.93

2018-12-20 21_52_35-Ports and Pinouts.jpg

It's just stupid to have Monitor ID, bit 1-3  in one place and Sense 0-2 in another.

There's also the diode complication thing, is that rearing its ugly head in this cable build? Test for it?

Visiting the rugger up in Philly for a few days, I think I remembered where my Apple cable and the converter for the Black Griffen cable are hiding along with the incomplete switchbox.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

I wouldn’t think we would need to bother with sense bits?  Shouldn’t the monitor take care of that?  I mean, if we were trying to force different resolutions on a 3rd party display, sure... but this is Apple hardware to Apple hardware.  No?

Funny, when searching Google, Apple still has technical information posted on the portrait:

https://support.apple.com/kb/TA43900?locale=en_US

EDIT:  Found the cable pinouts in the Apple Peripheral Interface Guide.  Looks like there’s a typo in that the column headers are reversed, but it matches my tone out.  No mention of a diode.

portrait-cables.thumb.png.6664968b8888d10c2a5afe0e8b73a44e.png

Edited by joethezombie

It's working!

IMG_8654.jpg.4eb1737fdf6b864adef140b248ba4d65.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg.c8957f9d09acf01ee608c50fc9fd0269.jpg

I realized I made a mistake in mapping my cable *right before* applying the joethezombie's pin-out so maybe even jt's pin-out might work.

Thank you so much guys for your help, I'll try to solder a proper connector during the holidays. By the way, the IIsi you see in the picture has been used up to mid-1992 in a electronic engineering faculty of an Italian university, it is loaded with ClarisCAD too....

Fabulous! You've got the perfect height base for the only display that makes sense to use on the IIsi's pathetic 1MB frame buffer Vampire Video as it was set up for productivity in CAD rather than gaming. Did the NuBus Adapter and card come installed in the IIsi?

I'll buzz my cable again for boo-boos and the proper one as well. Looks like the Pink Critter version is the way to do it. I'm wondering if the sense lines matter only in third party VidCards. Joe, is yours an Apple cable?

ISTR the diode may (only?) be necessary in a VGA conversion.

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Did the NuBus Adapter and card come installed in the IIsi?

Yes it did. If only I could find a Portrait Video Card.... I already have the original cable and the adapter card... :-(

1 hour ago, FrancescoDS said:

Yes it did. If only I could find a Portrait Video Card.... I already have the original cable and the adapter card... :-(

I’ve got a couple here with the odd connector, as I recall. Is that what you are looking for?

On 12/24/2018 at 11:41 AM, FrancescoDS said:

Since you have the Portrait and IIsi with the  NuBus Adapter/GS TPD Card with Claris CAD on the HDD, I think what you're missing the Portrait Cable to built in video cable and the TPD display from 3PD GS CAD seat. I'd guess that the IIsi was configured with handmedowns from a IIfx/expensive CAD seat program that was upgraded to color TPD(s).

I ran across PC side cable build info to adapt the gorgeous Apple GS TPD to VGA connections on the PC, If I were you I'd look into goinag from 13W3 to VGA on an appropriate modern multisync panel leaving the Portrait at 4bi GS off vampire video.

You are right, the IIsi was probably dismissed by the faculty after getting newer equipment.

I know that a modern panel would look awesome but I prefer to have a period-correct system.

The icing on the cake would be getting a real Portrait Video Card....