Syntho

Where to buy 60ns EDO RAM?

I need a handful of 60ns, EDO, 5v, 168pin 128mb sticks for my 9600. OWC used to have these for about $6 a pop but they're no longer sold. Where can I get some at?

The supply had to run out sooner or  later. I snagged 4 at $6 a few years ago and they are still in the bag they came in. If you can find a stack of 32/64MB DIMMs that should give you plenty of RAM for OS 7/8/9.

My PR440FX is a dual Pentium Pro board (with 4 x 256MB I think).

So you have a very early Pentium 2 board without SDRAM or AGP support. I think I have spare DIMMs from my upgrades if you need RAM (its 3.3V won't work in a mac).

As noted by itsvince725, the 440FX chipset doesn't have SDRAM support, so it needs EDO.  The 440FX was used for the Pentium Pro/Socket 8 and early Pentium II/Slot 1 systems.  In retrospect, it seems a rather  weird regression from Pentium systems with SDRAM support to early  PIIs without it.  The 440LX chipset added SDRAM and AGP support.  While the 440LX and later 440BX still supported EDO, SDRAM could offer twice the throughput and it seems rare to find EDO installed.  The trade off is that those chipsets support less SDRAM than EDO: 512MB of SDRAM vs 1024MB of EDO.  The EDO used by these systems is 3.3v and unbuffered and the DIMM slots are keyed to accept these as well as the more common 3.3v unbuffered SDRAM DIMMs   Power Mac EDO DIMMs were 5v, buffered, and keyed differently to avoid mix-up.  *The Power Mac 4400/7220 and many Mac clones used unbuffered 3.3v EDO DIMMs, more like PCs.

I had a 440LX AT (not ATX!) system somewhere in the mid 2000s and I found it such an oddity.  It had both AT and ATX power connectors, 2 DIMM slots for SDRAM or EDO, 4 SIMM slots for EDO, USB, onboard audio.  Since it was AT, it only had an AT keyboard connector at the back edge.  Everything else used headers.  My guess is that boards like that were marketed to shops upgrading existing late 486 and Pentium PCs since they could use the existing case, power supply, and even RAM.

21 minutes ago, rsolberg said:

I had a 440LX AT (not ATX!) system somewhere in the mid 2000s and I found it such an oddity.  It had both AT and ATX power connectors, 2 DIMM slots for SDRAM or EDO, 4 SIMM slots for EDO, USB, onboard audio.  Since it was AT, it only had an AT keyboard connector at the back edge.  Everything else used headers.  My guess is that boards like that were marketed to shops upgrading existing late 486 and Pentium PCs since they could use the existing case, power supply, and even RAM.

I have a couple AT boards for P2 systems sold by PCChips to people who wanted to upgrade older AT systems. They had built in sound and video as well which was not that common at the time. Pretty sure the chipset was an oddball one.

39 minutes ago, rsolberg said:

I had a 440LX AT (not ATX!) system somewhere in the mid 2000s and I found it such an oddity...

Are you sure it was 440LX and not EX? EX found its way into a lot of weird bottom-feeding motherboards. I used to have a positively *tiny* EX motherboard (probably technically a variant of micro-ATX, but at the time it seemed amazingly small) that had a slot 1 Celeron (a 333mhz, I think?) on it. It amused me how much of the board real estate the slot 1 connector took up.

48 minutes ago, Unknown_K said:

I have a couple AT boards for P2 systems sold by PCChips to people who wanted to upgrade older AT systems. They had built in sound and video as well which was not that common at the time. Pretty sure the chipset was an oddball one.

lol PC Chips. I see some of their boards in junk stores occasionally. Out of their extensive array of products, they had maybe two or three good boards (and even those were subject to bad batches); the M571 Super 7 board is the only one that comes to mind as being worth the trouble. I have at least one of the fake cache M919 models; I think it has an AMD 5x86 in it.

As for buying EDO RAM, I don't have any suggestions outside of the usual sources. I know I have a bunch of random RAM from that era that I pulled out of scrapped servers/workstations years ago, some of which is 3.3v, but I don't remember off-hand if it's buffered or not. RAM was way too confusing in the mid to late 90s.

There's a seller on eBay that has the 60ns, 5v, EDO, 168-pin DIMMs. Just ordered four of them for my 9500 last week and they should be arriving shortly. I'd rather not post the seller, but you can find them easily with that search (or just PM me and I'll let you know). This stuff is scarce so I'd rather not link to it directly, haha.