Sign in to follow this  
Franklinstein

Performa 5320: what clock speed?

I recently bought a Performa 5320 in part to do a side-by-side comparison with a 5420 because, according to specs available on multiple sites online and in the Apple service manual, the 5320 supposedly runs at 120MHz. Imagine my surprise when my 5320 arrived, in its original box, with both the label on the box and the markings on the processor specifying 100MHz.

The only resource that identifies the 5320 as a 100MHz system is this one. This wouldn't be the first time that mainstream and even Apple documentation was wrong; the endless versions of the same machine in the 90s was pretty confusing and this one, being a non-US system, probably wasn't scrutinized very often.

My question: does anybody else have a 5320? If so, what is its clock speed?

So I guess what might have happened here is that the 5230 model was a configuration only for Japan, hence why the Japanese resource you have linked is saying 100. Everything else refers to the computer as 5230CD which is what (according to Wikipedia) Europe and presumably the rest of Asia got.

Why did you picked a 53XX over a 54XX?

The weird part is that after so many years only one single reference lists the correct speed. Usually in the intervening years someone's emailed someone at everymac/LEM or another of the million different mac spec dexes and gotten them to update their listing for the machine's speed.

My initial thought was that it might have been a system whose motherboard was swapped, perhaps for a board such as the 5260. OS compatibility is usually "fine" when in close proximity or using a certain model's install disk on an older system, and you might never notice except if you look at System Profiler, which might list the exact configuration it thinks you have.

Just casually looking at the service manual at http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/legacy/powermac.perf_5200.5300.pdf Apple lists 120MHz in there too.

Granted, given that these are almost certainly written in English in the USA and then (if I had to guess: not localized into other languages) distributed, the person who wrote this likely did not have a very good opportunity to review an actual Performa 5320.

The box is definitely the wildcard, and it is the main bus in my personal "what if someone swapped the board at some point?" theory.

The vast array of confusing Performa models is one reason Apple had such a poor reputation in the mid-90s: nobody knew exactly what they were getting, higher numbers were often lower spec'd than similar models, and sometimes the only difference was bundled software. Ridiculous. 

13 hours ago, Innes said:

So I guess what might have happened here is that the 5230 model was a configuration only for Japan, hence why the Japanese resource you have linked is saying 100. Everything else refers to the computer as 5230CD which is what (according to Wikipedia) Europe and presumably the rest of Asia got.

Why did you picked a 53XX over a 54XX?

Yeah the models all say "5320CD" or whatever on Everymac but I haven't seen too many late-model Performas after the 61xx series that kept the "CD" designation on any of the labels; CDROMs became essentially standard in 1995ish so it wasn't really useful for differentiation anymore.

I was mostly curious if someone in the EU or Asia-Pacific region (I know there are some Aussies who frequent the forum) had seen a similar example of the 100MHz variant of the 5320. Was it an undocumented configuration? Was this model was originally 100MHz but stepped to 120MHz immediately after introduction? Is it a documentation error? I'm trying to figure that out. These machines are fairly unloved so I'm not sure there are too many still kicking around.

Anyway I got a 5320 because it was supposedly the fastest (@120MHz) of the 52/53xx series, the machines LEM refers to as "Road Apples," and I was going to do a side-by-side performance comparison with a 5420, which is a 120MHz PCI-based model. Also the 5320 is a non-US machine so I figured I'd pick one up while I could get it cheap. I paid about $30 for mine (including shipping) in its original box; I'll add pictures of the box labels to the list of things that I'm supposed to get pictures to post here. The 5420, another non-US model (in black!), was about $50 including shipping, though it didn't include its box or accessories and the previous owner was obviously a smoker (yuck). As an aside, the black plastics of the 5420 don't seem quite as fragile as the beige plastics of the other models, though it's still pretty easy to snap off the bezel tabs if you're not careful.