glay78

TAM Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh LCD replacement

Found one for sale with a rotten LCD. Powers up and just needed a replacement LCD. I doubt I can get a replacement easily, are there any compatible replacement available out there?

Yes - you're in luck, as it's the same LCD found in PowerBook 3400 and Kanga G3 models.  If the LCD displays lines or other unusual corruption, it could be the analog to digital adapter that runs between the LCD --> adapter --> TAM motherboard.  My TAM came with a faulty adapter, and it was near impossible to find a replacement, I couldn't repair it.

This TAM has a rotten screen. Hence unable to display. But I’ve not open up yet to see so I can’t be sure what else is faulty. Is there a monitor out for TAM?

Define "rotten" please? As Byrd said, there's an LCD interface hooked up to what would be the Audio/Monitor Subassembly on a 6500/5500. So no video out connection is available and a possibly very serious problem. Is the screen itself somehow so jacked up it's clear that it's the only problem?

I'm getting the unit to test, will post a pic if possible. It has a big round patch right smack at the screen. Leaving only about 2cm from the edges. No display when powered up. Not sure about lights.  I'm asking now

"Rotten" = sounds like the LCD is cracked, hopefully an easy fix.  Taking apart the TAM isn't that bad, it's the curved perforated plastic at the top that's the hardest to remove as you have to flex it off, but take your time on this and others and it's doable.

I'll take "rotten" to mean bubbled/warped/scuffed/bashed as seems to be the trend among LCD panels from the '90s lately. 

If you don't have ready access to a parts PowerBook, try removing the LCD panel and reading the model number from the back of it. Putting this info into an online reseller of some sort will often yield a replacement display for a reasonable sum. I have found replacement panels for my 5300ce and 550c this way.

7 minutes ago, Franklinstein said:

I'll take "rotten" to mean bubbled/warped/scuffed/bashed as seems to be the trend among LCD panels from the '90s lately. 

If you don't have ready access to a parts PowerBook, try removing the LCD panel and reading the model number from the back of it. Putting this info into an online reseller of some sort will often yield a replacement display for a reasonable sum. I have found replacement panels for my 5300ce and 550c this way.

Cool info, I'll try to post a photo of the screen later.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, Byrd said:

Yes - you're in luck, as it's the same LCD found in PowerBook 3400 and Kanga G3 models.  If the LCD displays lines or other unusual corruption, it could be the analog to digital adapter that runs between the LCD --> adapter --> TAM motherboard.  My TAM came with a faulty adapter, and it was near impossible to find a replacement, I couldn't repair it.

Thank you so much. I ordered a 3400c LCD and swapped out the TAM. It’s working now but the HDD is dead. Time to go flash memory and reinstall the OS. 

By the way after installing OS 8 or 9 does all the TV and radio works? Or I have to get the recovery disk?

Wonderful! I’ve a spare junker 3400c with good LCD should my TAM LCD decide to die one day.

Yes, installing vanilla OS 8.x or 9 installs the requisite TV/radio functions as needed for the TAM

Just now, Byrd said:

Wonderful! I’ve a spare junker 3400c with good LCD should my TAM LCD decide to die one day.

Yes, installing vanilla OS 8.x or 9 installs the requisite TV/radio functions as needed for the TAM

Cool and thank you. Yes keep the LCD well, hopefully it doesn’t comes handy. 

Do you you have any fix recommended for the broken door if CD drive?

14 hours ago, glay78 said:

Do you you have any fix recommended for the broken door if CD drive?

Where is the break?  The door has different clips, perhaps post a pic

10 minutes ago, Byrd said:

Where is the break?  The door has different clips, perhaps post a pic

Haha i broke the left side when opening the case. For that I can stick back, how about the part that holds the tray when open?

Just now, EvilCapitalist said:

Are you talking about the damper mechanism (the piece that smoothly opens the door as opposed to just letting it fly open)?

1454185843_TAMDamper.png.d3d6f1d40d4f172ec4946ac14b143f83.png

Yes!

20 minutes ago, EvilCapitalist said:

Are you talking about the damper mechanism (the piece that smoothly opens the door as opposed to just letting it fly open)?

1454185843_TAMDamper.png.d3d6f1d40d4f172ec4946ac14b143f83.png

Oh sorry it’s the door that is broken not this portion.

Is it one or both of the retaining clips at the top of the door, the clips at the bottom of the door, or the door itself?  It's incredibly unlikely that you'll find a TAM drive door popping up for sale on its own but if its one of the clips that broken and you still have the pieces you might be able to glue everything back together.

Just now, EvilCapitalist said:

Is it one or both of the retaining clips at the top of the door, the clips at the bottom of the door, or the door itself?  It's incredibly unlikely that you'll find a TAM drive door popping up for sale on its own but if its one of the clips that broken and you still have the pieces you might be able to glue everything back together.

Yes the bottom left is broken and I can still glue it. But I’m missing the portion where it guides the door to open