MacintoshMan1999

System Saver And Hard Drive Enclosure

53 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Yes, assuming your HDD isn't terminated.

I don't think it is, not sure. How would I check?

59 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

that's a passthru terminator, it could also be positioned on the top (outlet) connector of the enclosure as in the next illustration.

Does a pass through act like a normal terminator as well?

55 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

That's how internal UltraSCSI cables are set up.

Classic Macintoshs use UltraSCSI?

And, going on a slight tangent. I'm working on re-soldering the yoke connection on the analog board.

My board uses that adhesive tape stuff and I'm not sure how to replaces it. I'm going to check if I've got any adhesive double sided tape.

Wish me luck!

HAH! Classic Macintoshes don't even use "real" SCSI. The controller is a sub-standard speed IC for slower peripherals and the DB-25 connector is a SCSI abomination.. Apple really should have upgraded the controller limitation LONG before they did so at the tail end of the Quadra era. UltraSCSI came after Fast/Wide SCSI 2 and the Mac had finally transitioned to the economies of scale enabled cost/performance benefits of IDE/ATA before UltraSCSI came into vogue IIRC.

@360alaska thanks for chiming in!

@trag What's the scoop on internal/external chains for the internal SCSI2SD hacked Plus? I just pulled a Plus board and there are no termination resistor packs. That might explain the funky two terminator setup for a multiple device Mac Plus SCSI chain in the instruction manual? If so, the voodoo enabled internal SCSI2SD HDD chain might need to be corrected by addition of an external terminator for kosher implementation/signal reliability? Time for a Voodoo HowTo update? :huh:

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

12 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

It is the original SCSI standard with sub-standard (non-standard but good enough if you will) connector and cablie on the Macintosh end of the external bus.

Ahhh, ok.

I re-soldered the yoke connector and the flyback and still no picture, not sure we're to go.

I re-soldered the yoke connector and the flyback and still no picture, not sure we're to go.

The flyback can be bad also, had the issue once.

If the screen is black without any picture, and hitting the analog board doesn't show anything, but you have the chime and some activity, you can have this issue.

The cable from the logic board can also be faulty.

Have you turned the knob under the screen up ?

On 11/20/2018 at 5:40 AM, bibilit said:

The flyback can be bad also, had the issue once.

If the screen is black without any picture, and hitting the analog board doesn't show anything, but you have the chime and some activity, you can have this issue.

The cable from the logic board can also be faulty.

Have you turned the knob under the screen up ?

I figured it out, I did what this says:

D4F9E330-6B4F-4C7D-B01A-853F4CD63B13.png

9 minutes ago, MacintoshMan1999 said:

Going to go on a little tangent here, but I'd like to know if $100.00 is a good price for an Apple III computer. Any feedback?

I'm no expert but I'd regard that as a most reasonable price and if you want one, take it.

I’ve been messing around with the Apple HDSC Initializing program and my non-Apple HD. When I open the program it automatically starts searching for a hard disk, while that is happening the activity light on the HD case flashes one time. Then a text box appears saying “Could not find a suitable HD”. I’m a noob with SCSI, so I’m gonna guess that the open-ended SCSI bus needs to be terminated? Man, I’m such a noob. :D

Edited by MacintoshMan1999

On 11/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, MacintoshMan1999 said:

I’m not sure, how would I check?

Probably 80% of external SCSI devices require a terminator (similar to below) to be physically installed on the last device. The remaining 20% had a switch (either by itself or in a bank of switches) on the back of the device that could be turned ON or OFF to enable or disable termination as required. So you need either a physical terminator or to turn the switch ON.

terminator.jpg

Search the Garden or Repository for LaCie Silverlining, FWB Hard Disk Toolkit. APS PowerTools, or CharisMac Anubis. All four of these will detect and format non-Apple hard drives, though I would recommend Silverlining 5.31 for this application.

I've always used that patched version of Apple HD SC Setup that I think originally came from Gamba's site, it works without complaints for 68k machines. I started using it for A/UX and have used it for everything from System 6.0.8 to 8.1 on CF card media and reused SCSI hard drives.

Edited by nglevin
add a link to myoldmac, haven't seen anybody reference that in awhile...

11 hours ago, Franklinstein said:

Search the Garden or Repository for LaCie Silverlining, FWB Hard Disk Toolkit. APS PowerTools, or CharisMac Anubis. All four of these will detect and format non-Apple hard drives, though I would recommend Silverlining 5.31 for this application.

10 hours ago, nglevin said:

I've always used that patched version of Apple HD SC Setup that I think originally came from Gamba's site, it works without complaints for 68k machines. I started using it for A/UX and have used it for everything from System 6.0.8 to 8.1 on CF card media and reused SCSI hard drives.

The only problem is I have no way to get them on a disk, I’m gonna have to invest in the FloppyEmu. Or maybe a different way, not sure.

I'm not sure what my HD's SCSI ID# is, I read it goes from 7 - 0. And 7 is the computer itself. I think it's #0 but then it's the least prioritized number. Just for reference, Macintosh's cannot dasychain floppy drives? I'm' also on the lookout for the "Inside Macintosh" books, were they common? Or will I have trouble looking for a copy?

Thanks,

Jack