Jump to content
rudedude

Almost Disappointed They're not G5's

Recommended Posts

So I was trolling the free section of Craigslist this morning and came across a listing for "4 Power Mac G5's" or something of the sort in Boston, not too far from where I live.

I shoot the guy an email and after some correspondence head down to pick up my catch.

 

I get there and am greeted by the silver aluminum boxes of what he and I believed to be Power Macs, barely fitting all four of them in my car I drove home as fast I could through the rush hour traffic.

 

Imagine my shock to find out that they are not in fact Power Macs upon closer inspection at home.

 

I got 4 free Mac Pros of varying specs today!

(Although I'm almost disappointed they aren't the G5's, I'm still giddy with excitement)

IMG_3499.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got the makings for a storage/display shelving unit there. Great catch! I'm on the lookout for a G5 for Tiger/Classic Mode as well, so I understand wher you're coming from, one day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tanaquil said:

Wow, how cool! I saw that listing but I was too lazy to drive to Boston. Congrats on the win!!

 

Did you see the listing earlier today for the 3 Mac IIsi for free in CT?

That was a little too far for me to drive myself ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dual optical drives is a dead giveaway. I do like my G5 towers (3 units 1 spare partial), should probably snag a few more but they are hard to find locally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rudedude said:

Did you see the listing earlier today for the 3 Mac IIsi for free in CT?

That was a little too far for me to drive myself ;)

Whoa...can you send me a link to that? I live in CT...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they're gen1/2 machines they're not good for much, alas, but free is free.

(They're fine Linux machines, still good at that, although performance-wise anything but the 8-core models will lose to most i-series desktop CPUs, even i3s, made after 2011 or so. The one niche they can handle better than a newer desktop is if you have a use for a slow machine that can take a ton of RAM.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIsi machines seem to be gone already unless my search-fu is broken. Too bad. Glad someone got the pseudo G5’s. It was half can’t be bothered to drive, half where am I going to store them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing good in Raleigh on cl today, but if anyone is near Winston-Salem there's a sweet looking CC (no power) setup for $200. Methinks we have another seller who doesn't know how to soft power it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, rudedude said:

So I was trolling the free section of Craigslist this morning and came across a listing for "4 Power Mac G5's" or something of the sort in Boston, not too far from where I live.

I shoot the guy an email and after some correspondence head down to pick up my catch.

 

I get there and am greeted by the silver aluminum boxes of what he and I believed to be Power Macs, barely fitting all four of them in my car I drove home as fast I could through the rush hour traffic.

 

Imagine my shock to find out that they are not in fact Power Macs upon closer inspection at home.

 

I got 4 free Mac Pros of varying specs today!

(Although I'm almost disappointed they aren't the G5's, I'm still giddy with excitement)

IMG_3499.jpg

Nice score! Worth it for the cases alone if nothing else.   I mean, what's aluminum a pound these days? ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's too bad about the IIsi machines.

 

So I have 2 A1186 with the Dual 2.66 and stripped of memory, graphics, and HD.

 

But then 2 A1289 with the 3.2 chip and 32GB memory.

 

The one with the broken base is one of the A1186 machines. Not a bad find, still don't know what I'll do with them.

Media server?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rudedude said:

Media server?

According to the ol' kill-a-watt my lowly 2.0ghz quad (with 32gb of RAM, though) sucks around 200 watts at idle so, no, not a good choice for a media server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorgonops said:

According to the ol' kill-a-watt my lowly 2.0ghz quad (with 32gb of RAM, though) sucks around 200 watts at idle so, no, not a good choice for a media server.

Yeah, my 1,1 Quad make the lights dim for a second in my room when I turn it on or pull it out of sleep (no, I'm not kidding). I actually use my 1,1 daily (Firefox 48.0.2 is still pretty decent for now), wouldn't access anything confidential on it though. I also do a lot of my music related stuff on it. It's a great machine. I might look into getting a newer one (maybe even a  2012) in the future. The 2013 is a great looking machine, but I like my expansion slots and hard drive bays. I think I actually saw something once about an external GPU for a 2013 Mac Pro? An external GPU? Give me a break. I'd way rather have a tower under my desk with all of my expansions inside of it than have my entire desktop taken up by external devices. That being said, once the 2013s become old and worthless, I'll grab one.

 

Great find by the way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PB145BI totally agree. If you want a fairly cost effective upgrade, go get a 2009 Mac Pro and install the 2010-2012 firmware on it. With a CPU upgrade, it'll be 95% identical to a 2012 MP for a fraction of the cost (or at least that was true 2 years ago when I got mine).

 

c

Edited by CC_333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CC_333 said:

@PB145BI totally agree. If you want a fairly cost effective upgrade, go get a 2009 Mac Pro and install the 2010-2012 firmware on it. With a CPU upgrade, it'll be 95% identical to a 2012 MP for a fraction of the cost (or at least that was true 2 years ago when I got mine).

 

c

I’ll look into that! Thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MOS8_030 said:

I mean, what's aluminum a pound these days? ;)

Not much up here, 20 cents a pound or so.  Just took in a bunch, didn't get what I expected.  :sadmac:

 

I definitely woulda picked these up though, good score.  Seems to me they're a little more useful than a G5 and they look just as cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tanaquil said:

Wow, how cool! I saw that listing but I was too lazy to drive to Boston. Congrats on the win!!

 

 

16 hours ago, LaPorta said:

Whoa...can you send me a link to that? I live in CT...

 

Almost sounds like we should do a CT 68kmla meetup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×