rudedude

Almost Disappointed They're not G5's

On 9/14/2018 at 1:26 PM, Torbar said:

Almost sounds like we should do a CT 68kmla meetup

I'd totally be up for that!

On 9/14/2018 at 12:10 AM, Gorgonops said:

According to the ol' kill-a-watt my lowly 2.0ghz quad (with 32gb of RAM, though) sucks around 200 watts at idle so, no, not a good choice for a media server.

Very true, I didn't think about power consumption costs.

I'm really not sure what I can do with them though.

And as it turns out the A1289's both aren't registering their memory. Somehow. Not sure if the RAM itself is bad or what. Not sure if it's even worth testing.

Makes me wonder if the ram is the wrong type? Seems weird that BOTH would have all the ram stop working. Maybe the sticks are different speeds? Thats the first stuff I would check.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:10 AM, Gorgonops said:

According to the ol' kill-a-watt my lowly 2.0ghz quad (with 32gb of RAM, though) sucks around 200 watts at idle so, no, not a good choice for a media server.

yeah that's a bit.    pulling about 200w on my '13 trashcan, most of that is the monitor, 78w with the display off.   still not media server friendly like a mini.   the '09 I'm using as a server in the basement is drawing 30w and that includes the smart network switch and external HDDs.     But the mini and network run 24/7    the macpro I put to sleep when I'm not using it...  

On 9/16/2018 at 11:21 AM, TechEdison said:

Makes me wonder if the ram is the wrong type? Seems weird that BOTH would have all the ram stop working. Maybe the sticks are different speeds? Thats the first stuff I would check.

The strange thing is that as soon as I put in some known good sticks it booted up without a single issue.

I have no idea what was wrong with the old sticks.

32 minutes ago, rudedude said:

The strange thing is that as soon as I put in some known good sticks it booted up without a single issue.

I have no idea what was wrong with the old sticks.

Maybe the previous owner tried to use incompatible sticks, found the units non functional, and then decided to get rid of them.

On 9/16/2018 at 10:05 AM, rudedude said:

I'd totally be up for that!

On 9/14/2018 at 4:39 PM, TechEdison said:

It's a bit of a haul but maybe I'd be interested. Not sure how many people are near me.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, tanaquil said:

I'd be up for it!

On 9/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, LaPorta said:

Didn’t know there were so many of us around CTZM.

Don't want to hijack this topic, so at some point I'll create another topic and/or send PMs.  I'll be out of the country for the first half of october, but maybe late october/early november might be a good time?

Never knew we had so many CT members!  

23 hours ago, Torbar said:

Don't want to hijack this topic, so at some point I'll create another topic and/or send PMs.  I'll be out of the country for the first half of october, but maybe late october/early november might be a good time?

Never knew we had so many CT members!  

I like this idea, I'm all for it myself.