Retro Rider

iBook Clamshell White Screen

I got an Indigo iBook G3 recently for $30, the guy said that he had it on for an hour, than the screen went white and nothing else, I've tried resetting the PRAM, the PMU, I haven't checked inside the iBook yet if the connection is loose (but idk how since he had it running for an hour before it went bust) because I don't have a way to organize the screws yet. Can anyone help?

It is possible that an internal capacitor or other component has failed. If this is the case, the failed part would need to replaced with a new one. To start off, I would unplug and plug the screen from the motherboard and check if this fixes things. If this does not help, look for charred components on the motherboard. I would recommend using half of an old egg carton as a way to organize screws. (An ice cube tray is better if you have one) Each compartment can correspond to each step. 

iFixit.com has excellent repair guides for the Clamshell.

Good Luck!

5 hours ago, davidg5678 said:

It is possible that an internal capacitor or other component has failed.

That would make more sense, it did smell wierd when I open the keyboard and look at the internals (lat least what I can see from there). Then I guess that would call for a recap? Dang these machines are already that old?

5 hours ago, davidg5678 said:

I would recommend using half of an old egg carton as a way to organize screws. (An ice cube tray is better if you have one) Each compartment can correspond to each step. 

I was gonna use a pill holder, but I didn't think about that.

UPDATE: messed around with the volume settings, via the keyboard buttons, and it seems to work, I think it's the video cable.

Update 2: thought I read somewhere that maybe it was the ram, so I replaced it, it didn't do anything. More signs leading to video cable

Edited by Retro Rider