razo

Can OS7.1 and OS7.5.3 read/write to FAT16 harddisks?

I am using a SCSI2SD with four drives of 2 Gb each. Would my SE/30 and ColorClassic be able to read one of the drives if I formatted it as FAT16?
I know they can read/write to a zip-100 mb disk which is formatted as FAT16, so I got an idea for networking to my OSX mac if it works..

Edited by razo

Have you tried searching for the PC Exchange control panel? I think that's what it did -- allow access to FAT filesystems. I want to say that 7.5 came with it, but I can't remember for sure. I'm pretty sure it's possible to install it on 7.1.

Yes, I forgot to mention i already have PC Exchange on the OS7.5.3 SE/30. Can anyone confirm that it will also see a FAT harddrive?

I guess when PC Exchange was made installing a FAT hardisk in a SE/30 was not too common.. :-)

Edited by razo

On 9/6/2018 at 5:07 PM, olePigeon said:

PC Exchange should see a FAT hard drive.

Has anyone formatted a SCSI2SD drive with FAT16 and had it recognized in OS7?

I tried formatting in Terminal using "sudo newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/disk3", but OS7 was not able to see it.. (using SCSI2SD v6 via usb).

If this was possible then one could just use a usb-cable and SCSI2SD v6  to transfer files between the OS7 Mac and OSX, as they both would recognize FAT16 !
(SCSI2SD v6 give access to the drives via usb just as if there was a scsi-connection)

Edited by razo

4 minutes ago, MOS8_030 said:

And no, I do not believe OSX 10.x will read or write HFS.

Being able to create or write to HFS volumes stopped with Mac OS X 10.6 but HFS volumes could still be read.  HFS support was officially ended with macOS 10.12, but HFS volumes can reportedly still be read.  Not sure about macOS 10.13.