IlikeTech

Beige G3 Strange Issues

I just got a beige G3, and It had a bad power supply.  I replaced it with the an ATX unit, and after cleaning the board with alcohol, it booted up.  However, now it won't boot.  It chimes with ram installed, but I don't get any video.  If I remove the RAM, I get a crash. 

It doesn't seem to PRAM reset, and it has a fairly good battery in it. 

The CUDA Reset button doesn't help either. 

I have cleaned all the boards a few times now.

How long are you waiting to see whether the video out works?  My beige g3 will often sit for two or three minutes inexplicably before suddenly the video comes in and the machine boots up.  Currently unknown cause.  Do you have the power supply jumper on the logic board set to the PC setting?

Just for fun you should try booting as normal, wait a bit, then try command-control-power shortcut keys.  This bypasses the RAM test and usually you get video almost immediately.  

Have you tried different memory?  What about disconnecting everything from the logic board except the power supply, video, and keyboard cables?

Have you tried unplugging the hard drive(s)? My beige G3 takes a minute to display video when booting OSX. If yours has that issue AND is freezing in middle of boot, could leave you on a blank screen.

Also, any PCI cards installed?

It sounds very unlike Apple to allow one just put in a generic ATX PSU and let it work.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a slight modification would need to be made.

My guess is that you've blown some little component (like a capacitor) on the motherboard, although I am, by no means, a technical person.

A good high resolution picture of the motherboard would allow those who can see these things to confirm or deny my guess.

Edited by ArmorAlley
einfach so

I have a G3 Tower that does the same thing on first power on.  It will not display video when I first turn it on until I soft reset it with Control+Command+Power Key (as someone already pointed out above) and then it works fine until the next power off cycle.  I think it has something to do with the aftermarket CPU upgrade that is in the ZIF socket.  Does yours have an aftermarket CPU upgrade, by chance?