Sign in to follow this  
Trash80toHP_Mini

Three Slot Riser for 6400 - In search of the Mythical Slot C

In another thread, trag mentioned that his SuperMac C600 had Slots A, B AND C along with CS2. Another tangent ensued because the SuperMac clone is based on the 6400's Alchemy architecture.

Long story short, got this riser in hopes that it would plug into Slot A and give me A, B, and the mythical C.

AIMB-RP30P_SPL.jpg

No joy there Slot mapping appears not to work that way.

ADVANTEC-Riser-Slot-Map-Table-00.thumb.JPG.3d8c6f6f37e52fe004d5d106cb29dc08.JPG

Plugging it into Slot A of the 6500 Mobo I get Slot A in connector PC11 which ought to be Slot B per my reading of the tables. Guess I have to find a board to test it in Slot D?

Black magic on the card.

ADVANTEC-Riser-Component-00.thumb.JPG.71402c1a4975a81c4035ff1916a83fb1.JPG

ADVANTEC-Riser-Solder-00.thumb.JPG.3b6a2b24e2e565c53dab5375b9de1f0d.JPG

Genesis of the tangent:

Gotta organize the Slot info research I did in that thread to post here. It appears that the swaperoonies on this PCB align with the pinout info I found. If anyone has a suggestion about how the table on the riser works, please let me know. Dunno if my interpretation is at all accurate. :mellow:

@trag I'm already thinking about just in case workaround possibilities, your C600 wouldn't have crown jewels on a card in the ROM DIMM slot perchance?

TAM-Slot-C1.jpg

This TattleTech report has me thinking that there is support for Slot C1 in the 6400, Apple appears not to have hobbled it in ROM, trusting the 6400 setup to do that a/o just not giving a schiznit about expansion capability one way or another. Comparing ROM dumps between 6400 and C600 would be good to do up front. If Slot C1 doesn't show up after much blood, sweat and tears are shed on the bench it would definitely be time to compare dumps and try a C600 ROM card hack in a freshly installed DIMM socket in the 64oo.

Links from other thread:

Apple Developer Connection: PCI Card Services

Designing PCI Cards and Drivers for Power Macintosh Computers 1996

Revised Edition 3/26/99 has corrections, additions and irrelevant New World complications.

Designing PCI Cards and Drivers for Power Macintosh Computers

http://www.kennedybrandt.com/supermac_insider/support/downloads/C600UserGuide.zip

On 8/8/2018 at 5:20 PM, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

@trag I'm already thinking about just in case workaround possibilities, your C600 wouldn't have crown jewels on a card in the ROM DIMM slot perchance?

I'm not sure what the above means.   Can you be more specific.

Sorry, are  your C600 ROMs on a DIMM or on the motherboard? Idly wondering about last ditch effort in testing for Slot C function in Apple's implementation of Alchemy. If all else fails. Testing my (standard cheapo type) riser that works in the BG3 with its jumper card setup that's been modified to work without those connections to other mobo slots might need to be tried with the C600 ROM in the 6360 it won't work with its stock ROM.

Probably not a likely scenario however:

1 - TattleTech's PCI Slot report "sees" and lists (unimplemented) Slot C as being in the hardware of the my 6500 board.

-  -  possibly polling the bridge IC to find it supporting three slots?

2 - Apple's use license of the "crown jewels" almost surely forbade a clone maker's fiddling with ROM?

-  -  Black Box documentation of ROM with revocation of license for disassembly violation clause?

Step one of the process as I now see it unfolding will be to duplicate Apple's twin slot riser on the "simple three slot rackmount riser card." That may be done as simply as patching line values from Slot A pins to the "nubbin daughter card riser" header inputs to mimic the Apple riser. Just doing that completes reverse engineering the Slot A to B transition for the two slot TAM riser PCB design along with the low rider two slot riser for the 6360/5400/5500 drawer.

Step two will be wire wrapping connections on the headers for the nubbin daughtercard Slot C from Slot B headers to mimic the (nubbin jumpers not present) much more complicated ADVANTEC riser's Slot ID +1 function.

edit: I've probably gotta post pics of the "standard" rackmount riser/nubbin card jumper setup to make the jibberish above comprehensible. :-/

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini
the usual

Well, that was a bust. Took a few hours to find all the bits needed to get the 9500 board up and running on the bench to no avail. For whatever reason the fourth slot which should be Slot D1 shows up as Slot D2. Never seen nor heard of such a thing? First test of the ADVANTECH board didn't work in what the Tables on the card should have been Slot C. Didn't really expect it to work. I wonder what that ID designation comes up as in the QS? Another time perhaps.

Buzzed the nubbin board header connectors on the "standard" three slot riser to the soldertail pins of its PCI connector last night. Gotta buzz those pins the 6400/6500 risers and try to determine what's up with that next.

Can't figure this table out at all from the results I got for the 9500.

ADVANTEC-Riser-Slot-Map-Table-00.JPG

Bottom slot works wherever I try it, but only at the host slot's ID and the top two slots are just not there. It even passes on the curious oddball D2, E2, F2 Slot ID. Looks like a pair of standard PCI bridge ICs from TI on the board. Haven't checked yet, but a bus 1 and bus 2 suffix makes sense. Does or did the PC world do that kind of thing?

The ADVANTECH board is now relegated to $35 curiosity status, oh well. Gotta put one of the old PC boards on the bensh some day to play with it.

Looking at the 6400/6500 riser from the jumper cards of the "standard" three slot riser ATM.