zezba9000

Macintosh IIsi Magic chime sound. What does it mean?

Given that the issue with Charles has sort of taken over this thread, would it be possible to start a new topic of discussion over in another board so that we can track MacCaps-related developments more easily? Would the Lounge be appropriate for this or somewhere else?

2 hours ago, fyndr said:

Given that the issue with Charles has sort of taken over this thread, would it be possible to start a new topic of discussion over in another board so that we can track MacCaps-related developments more easily? Would the Lounge be appropriate for this or somewhere else?

That would be nice if there is a General category form area? Create and link it.

1 hour ago, fyndr said:

Mods please let me know if this should be moved elsewhere or if there are any issues with the content in that thread generally.

I'm going to post an abbreviated version of my reply to that new topic here. Broadly speaking the Lounge is probably the right place for a discussion like that. However:

Before there's any more discussion about MacCaps and its proprietor the "management position" of this forum should probably be made clear: this forum completely and utterly severed any relationship to the proprietor of that service some time ago. Charles is not (or at least should not) be directly reading your comments here nor is he able to directly reply to this topic. Given that, please refrain from discussion about what may or may not be happening with this individual's personal life and how that might be causing the customer service issues you're experiencing. (And, of course, know that any specific threats of legal action, etc, will be falling on deaf ears.)

So, broadly speaking, my take on this is if you're going to discuss this please treat MacCaps.com as if it were a *business entity* and keep speculation about how flattened raccoons or romantic disasters might be the root cause of your vendor dissatisfaction to a minimum.

I got a reply from Charles today and he claims he's going to try to get my boards sent back this weekend. I'll refrain from sharing his explanation for delays and lack of communication, but will say that my pitchfork remains in its storage case.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:27 PM, zezba9000 said:

One other note. Waiting for mail. Got a custom ROM SIMM from BigOMessOfWires to see if a custom rom skips some error the stock one is having.

Also got another motherboard from Ebay that doesn't need a ROM SIMM to see if I can get that one working.

Any luck with BOMW and the new motherboard?  My perfectly working ROM SIMM is a stock one that came with IIfx.  Hopefully, we can rule out ROM SIMM being the issue once and for all.

1 minute ago, 9166188 said:

Any luck with BOMW and the new motherboard?  My perfectly working ROM SIMM is a stock one that came with IIfx.  Hopefully, we can rule out ROM SIMM being the issue once and for all.

Still waiting on other motherboard (which has black memory slots). Just got the custom ROM SIMM in the mail today so haven't tested yet.

Will report back once I do.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:34 PM, 9166188 said:

Ok just got another Macintosh IISI motherboard. It works perfect with my custom ATX PSU! Still need to wash the motherboard but its sound is still strong so caps seem still ok.

The custom ROM SIMM doesn't solve the problem on my old board (so ROM SIMMs are not the issue).

But now I can compare some stuff. The new one has all black memory slots and doesn't require a SIMM. The old one requires a SIMM with all white ram slots.

So first thing I noticed and was looking for was CPU temperature. Why? Well both ROM SIMMs chime sounds load (stock and custom) but then the board just hults. Disk drive doesn't register or anything else on the board. This makes me think a couple things (which I will try as time goes on).

#1) The large dark blue caps close the the floppy disk drive might be bad which could be causing something else to fail on the board.

#2) The CPU get very hot on these... to hot for my liking. Normally CPUs that get this hot usually need a heat-sync when under heavy use. (comparing to RaspberryPi etc type systems). The CPUs might be burning out (So I will put a heat-sync on my working board). Pretty sure all my other macs without heat-syncs don't get hot at all.

#3) My bad boards CPU gets hot much faster than the working CPU. Its possible the crystal oscillator that controls the CPU clock may go bad on these computers... and the oscillator after a time could be its under some kind of temperature stress from the CPU not being cooled properly.

IDK if 1-3 are valid ideas yet but will try to knock out and validate some of them.

Images below show off the new working one and old broken one.

new.jpg

old.jpg

Edited by zezba9000

Made some directions for making a Macintosh IISI PSU very quickly. Based on a YouTube video but simplified.

1) First buy one of these "24 Pin to 10 Pin" off Amazon or Ebay: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5P5H2L

2) Rewire it with the image below.

More info and reference files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alt5wRhQYKD7gd4qoWijVukp9uDeOg

YouTube video this is based on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNerj2mQ4vw

How to un-wire.jpg

Wire Mappings.jpg

Edited by zezba9000

Did a quick clean of the new motherboard. Everything works except for the scsi. I know the hard drive and cable are fine as it came from a working computer.

Might need to replace the caps if thats the issue.

Also just a tip. If you need to convert an ATX 20-pin to a 10-pin you can also just use a PICO PSU to embed the PSU directly into the Macintosh computer as they're super small.

Something like this would work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-180W-DC-Pico-ATX-switch-PSU-with-Power-Adapter-Car-Auto-MINI-ITX-Power/263087650726

For a CPU heat-sink, get the same ones used for ARM A20 (they're the perfect size [tested]): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heatsink-for-Cubieboard1-Allwinner-A10-Cubietruck-Cubieboard2-A20-heat-sink/231904141192

Edited by zezba9000

@zezba9000

You got very useful details to use an ATX PSU.  Good job!

It's nice that we can rule out any ROM SIMM issue and focus on other possibilities.   Your new working motherboard will be really useful for comparison.

My board looks the same as your new one with onboard ROMs (these ROMs sit between the power connector and CPU) except that it does not work and my memory slots are white, not black.  So, I guess the color (whether black or white) has nothing to do with whether the make needs a ROM SIMM or not.

Some thoughts on your thinking:

#1 No harm you give it a try and rule out any cap being a culprit.  I replaced all caps and washed the board multiple times.  That did not improve anything. 

#2 I can confirm that like yours my 68030 CPU is hot relative to other chips which are about body temperature.   So, the temperature of the CPU stands out.  Having said that, it's only about as hot as a hot coffee mug which I can still touch comfortably.  In other words, it is not burning nor too high to give me concern.  

#3 In any case, it's strange that it is much hotter than other chips.  What is it doing?  Unlikely in a infinite loop of calculations.   I don't know whether this temperature is 'normal' for IIsi system when they are running idle w/o any OS.  Can the board still play chime of death music when the oscillator is faulty?  If yes, your suspicion over the oscillator can be a good one.  There is a post about upgrading IIsi clock speed which means the oscillator can be replaced.

The fact that my IIsi gives a chime of death shows it is able to do some early stage diagnostic.  But it immediately finds very fundamental failure(s) and simply gives up before it even shows any sad Mac icon on screen.  It looks to me like it got stuck before it can move on to check ROM, memory, SCSI and other subsystems.   What does it find? 

http://educ.jmu.edu/~jarvislb/utils/macintosh/boot2.htm

7 hours ago, 9166188 said:

@zezba9000

You got very useful details to use an ATX PSU.  Good job!

It's nice that we can rule out any ROM SIMM issue and focus on other possibilities.   Your new working motherboard will be really useful for comparison.

My board looks the same as your new one with onboard ROMs (these ROMs sit between the power connector and CPU) except that it does not work and my memory slots are white, not black.................

#1 I ruled out buy connecting the caps from the working board to the non-working one with some wire clamps.

The CPU being as hot as it is is going to be fine when idle. Under load for a long period of time it may not be (as is the case with ARM chips in your phone etc). My concern is these computers have been around for a very long time and the one I got that doesn't work was very dusty which can increase the CPU temperature even more and if someone left it on under stress for a long time it could cause damage as these old computers don't have auto power off when the CPU gets to hot (if you get yours working again, I would put a heat-sink on it). When a CPU goes bad it can still partially work but then fail when it starts to use other parts as not all circuits will just stop functioning.

The other possibility is the original PSUs in these damage something else on the motherboard. Both PSUs in the working and non-working IISI computers were leaking some fluid on the board and both PSUs had issues. If the original PSUs were this bad, maybe a bad CAP in them caused a bad power fluctuation on the motherboard and damaged a chip when going out. My hope is it damaged the CPUs crystal oscillator and the reason I think I could be on the right track is the CPU in the bad computer gets much hotter much faster than my working one.

I'm moving soon, so my on and off tests with this may slow for a month or couple of weeks. Just FYI.

Edited by zezba9000