Jump to content
zezba9000

Macintosh IIsi Magic chime sound. What does it mean?

Recommended Posts

Got a Macintosh IIsi computer.

 

1) Got computer.

2) After plugging it in, it auto turned on? This doesn't seem right, PSU maybe?

3) The screen would show gray, then go off and make an error chime.

4) So I replaced the caps as I thought that might be the root issue (sound was super low as well).

5) Now I have the same issue (but load sound). So computer auto turns on when power plugged in and screen goes on then off and makes a error chime sound.

6) I replaced the ram with "confirmed working" 4 256kb dimms for a total of 1mb but have the same issue.

 

Any ideas? My only idea is PSU but idk. I also washed motherboard as caps probably leaked but maybe I need to wash more?

 

Video of issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TNdpiKy4Tk6m1b8f8

First beep is my bird so ignore that lol. Any ideas are welcome!

20180805_225426.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also is there another PSU that can be used on these computers for testing?

I'm reading these can go bad in IIci computers so guess its the same with IIsi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I *think* a IIcx/ci PSU is electrically compatible?

 

The IIsi is quite unique, so most parts form other machines (aside from disk drives, cables, and other such things) won't work without some effort.

 

c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bibilit said:

On the back of the IIsi, the power button can be turned 90° to switch on when plugged to the wall.

The switch is not in the server position. I tried both to make sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe have a try with another PSU, did you recap the PSU ?

 

Those can be tricky to repair, but depending of the supplier, a lot of capacitors to replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bibilit said:

Maybe have a try with another PSU, did you recap the PSU ?

 

Those can be tricky to repair, but depending of the supplier, a lot of capacitors to replace.

I only replaced the caps on the motherboard (47uf - 16v to 47uf - 50v).

I might just use the MacCaps service to get the PSU done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So opened up the PSU and thats got to be the issue (should have taken a picture).

The caps that look like they're on the board that control the on/off switch look messed up and super leaky.

 

Man this PSU was the dumbest design. To fix the caps on this are just way more work then it should be, its wonky as **** in there.

Apple really did the wackiest job on these computers I have ever seen. The speaker, power led and back fan are all just surface contacts... the PSU is a joke of a design.

 

I sent it into MacCaps to get repaired. Cost 75$ because of how crazy these are.

 

The computer is in really good shape all things considered so I have high hopes.

Will report back once I get the PSU back (fingers crossed)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did you install to 50v 47uf caps?
There is also axial caps on the board as well - they may need replacing to.

100% for sure the PSU does need recap - It has known it gets shorten to start it up on its own.

Yes IIci/Quadra 700 PSU does fit on IIsi board - I've done that to eliminate the power on test/shutdown test etc.

FYI - Maccaps is not 100% accurate some caps may be different as per spec so double check what you're replacing to same value.

Cheers

AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recapped my IIsi, with exception of the axial caps, which I now have.  The originals were supper clean.  The caps in my IIsi were not leaky at all but I replaced them all the same.  

 

About the PSU, how do you open it up?  Mine seems to have no screws but perhaps rivets?  Not sure.  Mine seems to be made by Magnetek (www.magnetek.com)  Made in Italy, it appear.  Sticker on the supply says 26th week of 1992.  My IIsi must be a later model.  

Edited by Zippy Zapp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't remember, but screws are provided for the PSU.

 

IIRC Sony are affected by the capacitor problem, not the Magnetek ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info.  I had read about the bad caps with the Sony ones too but never really read anything about the Magnetek PSUs.

 

When I get some time I will have to have another look at it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2018 at 4:23 PM, AlpineRaven said:

Why did you install to 50v 47uf caps?
There is also axial caps on the board as well - they may need replacing to.

100% for sure the PSU does need recap - It has known it gets shorten to start it up on its own.

Yes IIci/Quadra 700 PSU does fit on IIsi board - I've done that to eliminate the power on test/shutdown test etc.

FYI - Maccaps is not 100% accurate some caps may be different as per spec so double check what you're replacing to same value.

Cheers

AP

"Why did you install to 50v 47uf caps?"

-- Because its what I had. The voltage doesn't matter as long as its not less than 16v.

 

"Maccaps is not 100% accurate"

-- Well paid 75$ + shipping to have them replaced so sure hope it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2018 at 8:55 PM, Zippy Zapp said:

I recapped my IIsi, with exception of the axial caps, which I now have.  The originals were supper clean.  The caps in my IIsi were not leaky at all but I replaced them all the same.  

 

About the PSU, how do you open it up?  Mine seems to have no screws but perhaps rivets?  Not sure.  Mine seems to be made by Magnetek (www.magnetek.com)  Made in Italy, it appear.  Sticker on the supply says 26th week of 1992.  My IIsi must be a later model.  

"About the PSU, how do you open it up?"

-- You take off a screw or two then slide the top off. After that there are screws inside behind stuff... its such a dumb design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: not 100% accurate, I think what was meant is that power supplies can vary slightly from the factory. I believe Maccaps says on his own site that the values shown for caps in the photos can vary and that users should double check the values before doing their own replacements. If you sent the supply to him to do the work, I am sure it will be fine. 

 

On the the topic of PSUs, has anyone else found it unusually difficult to open SE/30 PSUs? I have two whose screws will not respond to any amount of force, and I usually have no trouble getting leverage on stubborn screws. I finally gave up but wondered if this was common. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2018 at 7:40 PM, zezba9000 said:

"About the PSU, how do you open it up?"

-- You take off a screw or two then slide the top off. After that there are screws inside behind stuff... its such a dumb design.

 

Thanks,  I will check it out.  When I first took the PSU out I didn't see a single screw but perhaps I over looked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a similar problem.  You can find my post back in 2016.  Recapped both the motherboard and PSU -- did not help.  The problem remains. 

 

I have found others having similar issue with IIsi.   It looks like a common hard problem that is likely similar or even the same.   I have a feeling if one got fixed, many IIsi machines could be saved.  Good luck!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So maccaps.com guy "Charles Phillips" is not responding to any of my emails and its been 3 weeks.

I sent him my PSU 3 weeks ago. Messaged once after two weeks to see what an ETA might be... he didn't respond a week after. Also emailed him yesterday and still no answer.

 

Is this guy still alive or am I being scammed? Iv'e spent 100$ to get that PSU fixed.

Going to try and send him an email over a VPN on a different email acting as someone else to see if its just me hes not responding too.

If so am going to confront him about it... this is just not cool. Not in a rush just need a response.

Edited by zezba9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2018 at 7:32 PM, 9166188 said:

I have a similar problem.  You can find my post back in 2016.  Recapped both the motherboard and PSU -- did not help.  The problem remains. 

 

I have found others having similar issue with IIsi.   It looks like a common hard problem that is likely similar or even the same.   I have a feeling if one got fixed, many IIsi machines could be saved.  Good luck!

 

 

 

 

Did you ever try this: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@zezba9000 No, I haven't tried ATX PSU because I think my IIsi PSU is in good shape after partial recap.  It can be turned on with the power button at the back (before recap, it powered on whenever the power cord was plugged in).  So, I suspect the culprit is still with the motherboard somewhere, likely broken trace somewhere suggested by friends of this forum.  

 

Your video shows the green power light is ON with this ATX PSU.   I presume your IIsi is booting fine now(?), but I do not hear any chime (normal or error).   So, is it working by swapping to an ATX PSU?   If so, I might give this path a try to rule out mine is due to any PSU issue.

 

 

Edited by 9166188

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That symptom seems alot more like a failure to initialize an on-board peripheral/hardware IC. 

 

it hung up way too long waiting for something to initialize, and since it didnt ACK, it failed with the sad chimes. 

 

the SCSI, SWIM, and SCC either one could do this. it really depends on the ROM. the VIA could do this as well, although I would have a tendency to rule that one out as the sound IC is still functional, however I cant recall if the ASC goes through the VIA at any point, but I know all the interrupts do. and a hung interrupt can do this as well. 

 

Final thoughts would be look at traces near where bad caps used to be. any of them or nearby vias can be rotten, breaking contact to any one of those ICs causing this symptom. 

Edited by techknight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 3:28 PM, zezba9000 said:

So maccaps.com guy "Charles Phillips" is not responding to any of my emails and its been 3 weeks.

I sent him my PSU 3 weeks ago. Messaged once after two weeks to see what an ETA might be... he didn't respond a week after. Also emailed him yesterday and still no answer.

 

Is this guy still alive or am I being scammed? Iv'e spent 100$ to get that PSU fixed.

Going to try and send him an email over a VPN on a different email acting as someone else to see if its just me hes not responding too.

If so am going to confront him about it... this is just not cool. Not in a rush just need a response.

I've had the same problem. Has had my 2 boards and 2 disk drives since January and has been promising me he will finish them every week. Now he doesn't answer his emails. I know he moved his office recently. I am about to make a Mail Fraud compalint to USPS.

 

Did you get in touch with him?

 

bluestreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bluestreak said:

I've had the same problem. Has had my 2 boards and 2 disk drives since January and has been promising me he will finish them every week. Now he doesn't answer his emails. I know he moved his office recently. I am about to make a Mail Fraud compalint to USPS.

 

Did you get in touch with him?

 

bluestreak

No still no reply from any email. This pisses me off, those Mac II/SI PSUs are impossible to find. I just want him to send it back so I can do it myself. (I spent over 100$ for this recap)

I was thinking of filing a fraud report as well.

 

Could you PM me his new office location if its known?

Edited by zezba9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've decided to try and use a normal ATX PSU using one of these adapters (24 Pin to 10 Pin Power Supply ATX PSU Adapter Cable): https://www.amazon.com/Asicminer-Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable/dp/B07C5P5H2L

 

I might need to swap some wires, not sure until I get it but seems like a logical test.

If I can get it to turn on using a normal ATX PSU I can at least confirm a PSU vs motherboard issue and make better choices from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 6:28 PM, zezba9000 said:

So maccaps.com guy "Charles Phillips" is not responding to any of my emails and its been 3 weeks.

I sent him my PSU 3 weeks ago. Messaged once after two weeks to see what an ETA might be... he didn't respond a week after. Also emailed him yesterday and still no answer.

 

Is this guy still alive or am I being scammed? Iv'e spent 100$ to get that PSU fixed.

Going to try and send him an email over a VPN on a different email acting as someone else to see if its just me hes not responding too.

If so am going to confront him about it... this is just not cool. Not in a rush just need a response.

Charles has two motherboards of mine, a Macintosh Classic and a Performa 550. He's stopped responding to my emails as well. He's had them since April.

 

I'm worried about the guy a little bit, since he told me he was going through some sort of personal issues, but my patience is about done. If you get a response from him, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×