bengi3

Millenium bug after 20 years?

Two questions:

1. Classic or Classic II?  I couldn't tell from the video.
  2. What version of System is that?  I want to say 7.0.1 but I may be wrong.  The question then would be if later Macs suffer from similar issues.

This has been brought up before elsewhere.

Intentional behavior in the System 7 Date & Time control panel for compatibility with the System 6 "General" control panel.

System 7 itself can handle dates past 2019 just fine. Or at least, as well as any 32 bit computer of the 80s and 90s can.

Edited by nglevin
Being more specific about which part of System 6

Well, to be fair to Apple, in the mid-eighties, the turn of the Millennium seemed like an eternity away.

In 1983, I remember George Lucas saying that the next Star Wars movie wouldn't be out until 1997 and thinking how far away that was. The year 2000 (1) was even further away.

I think that the idea that people would be using Macs made in the 1980s after 2019 was just bizarre. These were days of great advances in processor speed, RAM, GUIs for computing in general. Machines doubled in speed, power and potential every couple of years. Would you buy a machine now that couldn't rendered dates after 2100 correctly?

Weekday-month-day-combinations repeat themselves every 28 years, if I am not mistaken. Century years not divisable by 400 mess this up a bit though. I'll be setting my year back to 1992 in my System 6 installations when the year 2020 rolls around unless I find an INIT that allows 2020 (and there surely is an INIT for that).

(1) The turn of the Millennium was either at the beginning or the end of the year 2000, depending on how difficult or contrary you are. For me, it was the end of that year. That being said, I didn't complain when the city I was living in celebrated the beginning of that year.

It’s a Macintosh Classic running

System 6.0.7.

Indeed I too found it weird to celebrate the new millenium on new years eve in 1999.

The General control panel? Any version of System 6 or 7, of course!! :lol: !!

As for whatever other CP(s) is (are) being discussed here, not a clue...

c

Were they not, I didn’t know that!!!

I was PC from 1997-2007 but my love of my macintosh days at uni on various II’s and LC’s or my very own colour classic made me go back to mac in 2007 and now nostalgia has me an se/30, LcII, performa 6200 and a PowerBook 1400 for playing on so was a bit worried seeing the Y2K comment 

Yes another 20 years is quite an ask for electronics as those capacitors have killed off so many already. I need to start buying up spares now to keep mine going lol

4 hours ago, ArmorAlley said:

Old Macs have to wait until 2038 for their Y2K moment. I wonder how many we can keep active until then?

I wonder if I'll be active then...  ;)

Yes another 20 years is quite an ask for electronics as those capacitors have killed off so many already. I need to start buying up spares now to keep mine going lol

i’ll be 63 

On 7/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, ArmorAlley said:

The turn of the Millennium was either at the beginning or the end of the year 2000

I don't wish to stray too far off topic, but to me, the new millennium began sometime toward the end of 2001. I was there, and from what I recall, 2000 and most of 2001 very much felt like the 90s. After late '01, though, things began to change quite drastically, with computers (particularly operating systems) finally beginning to look and feel much more modern (Mac OS X and Windows XP both saw their respective RTM releases in mid-late 2001; before this, Mac OS 9 was still largely based on System 7 from 1991, and Windows' UI was still largely based on Windows 95 and 98 (granted, XP was basically identical to 2000 (and, thus, 9x) save for the extra eye candy, but it was that eye candy, more than anything, that set it apart from it's predecessors because XP was the first to have it)). The hardware itself also began to take on a more modern appearance (the all to common black with silver trim, which is the new Beige even to this day, it seems).

And, of course there was a bunch of other, generation-defining things going on (including, of course, the beginnings of the modern Internet and WWW as we know them today), but I won't discuss those here, lest I embark down a slippery slope none of us want to see ;)

c

CC, I agree with your assessment on 2000-2001 seeming a lot like "nineteen ninety ten" and "nineteen ninety eleven", and this of course extends beyond computers and technology in general. 2001 seems much more like 1998 than 2004 despite there being a three year difference between both years, plus or minus.

I also feel the beginnings of the internet and the internet in general define generations. I know some may disagree with me, but I feel people who remember a time before the internet are a different generation than those who can't really remember that. I like to use 1988 as my defining year for this; most people born in 1987 or earlier would remember those days considering the internet made it big around 1994. 

Regarding the actual start of a millennium, it's always xyz1. Likewise, a decade is x1 and a century is xy1. (x, y, and z represent any digit between 0 and 9).

Regarding the bug, have you checked out the SetDate control panel? There's also a System 6 version now!

Yes 2000 was where it changed i agree, my 2001 imac with osx 10.3 on seems like any new computer, my 1995 PowerPc and my Mac SE/30 feel really really old by comparison. Unfortunately I remember the 1970’s just with my first computer in 1981 wow thinks have changed a lot

13 hours ago, Scott Baret said:

CC, I agree with your assessment on 2000-2001 seeming a lot like "nineteen ninety ten" and "nineteen ninety eleven", and this of course extends beyond computers and technology in general. 2001 seems much more like 1998 than 2004 despite there being a three year difference between both years, plus or minus.

Well said. Everything seemed so, nineties, from radio and TV to computers and the Internet.

It does definitely seem like late 2001, for me, as I said before, is like a big period, where everything that came after is distinctly different from everything that came before (I can even pin it down to a specific day, but PM me if you want to hear my take on that, as it's probably too political to post here).

All in all, the past 18 years have been very weird, and I don't think things have turned out quite like we all expected them to.

c

Edited by CC_333