Punkyclown

Macintosh SE fan noise

Hi All, 
Can someone advise me on weather it's possible to replace the fan in the Mac SE for a quieter one.
That's the only thing about the SE that is annoying,  the fan noise.  The replacement hard drive I installed hardly 
makes a sound.  But the fan, Boy...
Thanks in advance, Brad Hansen

Yes, a noctua fan fits quite well and is very quiet. I used a NF-A6x25 FLX (60x60x25 computer case fan). It even had a connector to tap into the hdd power loom.

Edited by Skate323k137

The SE had two fan variants: One that is a standard size computer fan and one that is very different. As long as your SE has a standard fan, it is as simple as undoing some screws and desoldering some wires from the analog board.

I tried replacing my fan a while ago with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B8E7/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It did not reduce noise very much and it is still quite loud; I would not recommend it. I think the problem is that the SE has no fan control and runs everything at 100% power. It might be possible to add a strong resistor or potentiometer in line with the fan to take some of the speed/noise down, but I have not investigated. I do know that Noctua fans are much higher quality and might still be quiet at 100% speed.

Squirrel cage fans, are notorious for being noisy, but far more efficient than later units.

Had a pair at some point, that and the early Rodimes or Miniscribes Hard Drives and you are ready for heavy headaches.