Sign in to follow this  
trag

MDD Power Supply Dimensions?

Anyone have the physical dimensions of the MDD power supply handy?  I tried searching here and via Google and could barely turn up the electrical specs.

I would like to check whether this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABP94VY8498&cm_re=1u_power_supply-_-9SIABP94VY8498-_-Product

power supply is a likely candidate to fit in the MDD either as a direct replacement, or by extracting the guts and placing them in the MDD supply's casing.

Image for MDD (electrical) specifcations:

5b201091857e7_MDDPSSpecification.thumb.jpg.8dd4ca0b4827bb91bd9e90c4408ef808.jpg

Cool.  Thank you.  

Looks like it would fit.  Who knows how the wiring would be until someone tries it?  The supply I linked to has dimensions 8.66" X 1.59" X 3.94".   20 amps on 3.3V and on 5V.  And three 12V rails at 16A.     Add two buck converters and a couple of diodes to supply 28V from the 5V standby and one of the 12V rails (standby 28V and active 28V).  The diodes are there to prevent the 28V from feeding back to the other Buck converter.

I don't know when I'll ever do it.   But I do  like shopping.

Tried to post a nice table, but just ended up with html code that wasn't interpreted.  Grrr.

Edited by trag

I just wish someone would do a write-up on what exactly causes the MDD PS's to fail with such frequency.

I currently have two dead ones.

I finally just installed a regular ATX PS in my MDD since I really don't use it that much any more.

Have you read the MDD threads over at badcaps forums?    It's been a few years since I read them, but there was quite a bit of discussion on repairing the MDD power supply.  I'm not sure if they identified specific culprits though.

12 minutes ago, trag said:

Have you read the MDD threads over at badcaps forums?    It's been a few years since I read them, but there was quite a bit of discussion on repairing the MDD power supply.  I'm not sure if they identified specific culprits though.

I did go through some of that discussion/information.

I suppose if I were ambitious I could track down the issue with my supplies, but I'm not.