PB145B

SCSI zip drive

11 hours ago, Cory5412 said:

Fair warning: Zips "Are the least reliable storage technology to come out of the '90s" might be a more accurate way to put this. ;)

Fair enough, Cory, I can agree with you there.

@dcr, that 's an interesting point about internal vs. external drive reliability. Not sure I've ever heard of an internal drive causing the click of death. I wonder if they can be ruined by a bad disk? The two disks you can't read wouldn't be the ones you tried first in the two drives that failed would they?

I forget where I read it, but that "cheapening" of the drives is documented as factual. The engineers who created the patented head seek mechanism that made the drives so inexpensive put a couple of doohickies in there that seemed superfluous to some marketing or production efficiency genius that came along later. When called in, the engineers were horrified and the necessary parts went back into the drives produced thereafter.

We should track that info down and document it. The externals aren't all that hard to open for inspection. If the parts or the lack thereof can be easily determined we should do that as a matter of course. I wonder how many of the drives made in that timeframe are still working? It may be as simple as checking the tooling date codes that should be present on the inside of the cases to determine the need for further inspection?

49 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

@dcr, that 's an interesting point about internal vs. external drive reliability. Not sure I've ever heard of an internal drive causing the click of death. I wonder if they can be ruined by a bad disk? The two disks you can't read wouldn't be the ones you tried first in the two drives that failed would they?

The two unreadable disks were, as far as I recall, never tried in the now-broken external drives.  Also, if I recall, the disks that were the last ones used/tested in the external drives before they broke were able to be used and read in the internal drives.  There is at least one Zip disk the internal drive has been unable to read all the data off of.  I still have about 60 Zip disks I need to move files off of.  I am hoping the drives live long enough to finish the job.

For whatever it may be worth, the two working internal Zip drives I have both came pre-installed in Power Macintosh 8600 models.  One is an 8600/200 and I think the other is an 8600/250.

Does Zip run off SCSI or IDE/ATAPI in the 8600? If the latter, you can swap in readily available 250MB drives. If the former and you have TWO internal SCSI drives I'm jealous. One of my pair had its power connector keying tab broken off when I got it and you can guess why it's now dead. [:I]  Try a USB external 250 drive on a USB Mac. The 250 drive reads/writes both, disks, I'm hoping that mechanism will be versatile enough to read your disks.. If you've not already done so, it's worth a try. Those drives are cheap as  .  .  .

22 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Does Zip run off SCSI or IDE/ATAPI in the 8600?

The internal hard drive is SCSI based, so I would guess the Zip is as well.  I think the only way to use IDE devices inside was to get a PCI expansion card.

27 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Those drives are cheap as  .  .  .

How are you defining "cheap as . . ."?  The only cheap ones I see on that certain auction site are the ones for "parts or repair."

I believe the unreliable one were version 1 zip100 like 2 of mine but mostly fixed with zip plus onwards. Knock them but to be fair there’s a lot still working 25 years later thats  better than most of apple equipment, my se/30 needed recap the cd300 also so they aren’t all bad :)

12 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Maybe, things change, haven't been in the market for IDE Zip drives in some time.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the 250 USB externals being cheap.

23 minutes ago, SE30_Neal said:

I believe the unreliable one were version 1 zip100 like 2 of mine but mostly fixed with zip plus onwards. Knock them but to be fair there’s a lot still working 25 years later thats  better than most of apple equipment, my se/30 needed recap the cd300 also so they aren’t all bad :)

I don't know if any of mine were the Zip Plus, but I am pretty sure the USB version came after the Zip Plus and I have two or three dead USB Zip drives.

As a side note, why are there no Apple II emoji?  :sadmac:

Edited by dcr

21 minutes ago, dcr said:

As a side note, why are there no Apple II emoji?  :sadmac:

Is the 68kmla a Macintosh forum, or an Apple II forum? :p

Edited by Dog Cow

3 minutes ago, Dog Cow said:

Is the 68kmla a Macintosh forum, or an Apple II forum? :p

Not a Mac ---> :lisa2:

:-p

13 minutes ago, Dog Cow said:

Actually it is. That's a Macintosh XL. :p:-p

The emoji code calls it a Lisa2.   And this one a Lisa:  :lisa:

4 hours ago, dcr said:

Oh, I thought you were talking about the 250 USB externals being cheap.

Those were a bit more expensive back than as well. IIRC the drives being the same. but for a controller board between SCSI and IDE. If the drive is bad, the controller ought to be fine, maybe try swapping boards with a Parallel Port version of the Mk.1 Zip?

Here are some pics of the Zip100 Plus I just brought back from home. It has its own power adaptor, which I've included a closeup of.

Haven't tested it yet. Was very wary to try any of the disks from my parents' as I remember vividly the issues we had with the USB zip drive we had and the potential of ruining a good drive with a bad disk... So will be getting a never-used disk at some point!

20180909_020558.jpg

20180909_020723.jpg

20180909_020812.jpg

20180909_020832.jpg

20180909_020110.jpg

6 hours ago, Iesca said:

Here are some pics of the Zip100 Plus I just brought back from home. It has its own power adaptor, which I've included a closeup of.

Haven't tested it yet. Was very wary to try any of the disks from my parents' as I remember vividly the issues we had with the USB zip drive we had and the potential of ruining a good drive with a bad disk... So will be getting a never-used disk at some point!

20180909_020558.jpg

20180909_020723.jpg

20180909_020812.jpg

20180909_020832.jpg

20180909_020110.jpg

Great find! The Plus drives ar great because they can do parallel or SCSI.

I’ve brought 35 disks off ebay and 6-7 didn’t work but thankfully didn’t damage either of my drives; 1 x zip 100 scsi and 1 x zip 100 plus like yours again on scsi. I had to re format all as they were old ibm etc but now have over 3GB’s worth of disks to back up my 3 vintage macs. Love the zip drive 

I have a decent stack of 100MB ZIP disks for moving files on old rigs , they are cheap and reliable (my original 90's era disks still hold their old data).

I've had 4 drives and sadly half of them were bad, but fortunately I still have a good parallel Zip100 and USB Zip250. Just need more disks and a SCSI Zip drive.

Same unknown I’ve found them reliable myself, i had a Zip drive back in the 1990’s and father was still using his zip drive for copying files as late as 2016 as his internet was so poor at home (he lives in the countryside). I’ve had my zip drives for 18 months now and couldn’t have got my se/30 up and running without them, i use my performa to access macintoshgarden (be it slowly) download to zip and transfer to my se/30, it’s not as good as networked but it works and is somehow satisfying hearing all the noises and blinking lights

23 minutes ago, SE30_Neal said:

I had to re format all as they were old ibm etc but now have over 3GB’s worth of disks to back up my 3 vintage macs. Love the zip drive 

Yeah, I may go that route. People who have the Mac formatted ones seem to be charging extra for them, perhaps unsurprisingly. :/

That's why I use the USB ones, and an old G4 PowerBook/iBook with OS X Tiger or Leopard can still format disks as HFS Standard for old Macs.

You can use a Power Mac G4 or G5 too but the laptops do have the advantage of being portable.