Sign in to follow this  
KnobsNSwitches

*sigh* I broke my 2400c

I have a PowerBook 2400c that worked. And then, I took it apart to replace the hard drive (which was starting to fail), and while it was apart I thought I'd clip the jumper wires (per here and elsewhere) to allow me to have Cardbus support.

And somehow, something happened in that process that it doesn't boot any more. No chime, no green light, no nothing. I've tried attaching an ADB keyboard and using that soft power button, I've tried the original 2400 power adapter and a later power adapter, nothing. I've disassembled it again and verified everything is connected, double checked the connections between the motherboard and the IO/Power board, etc, and it's a no go. 

The only thing it does is if you listen very carefullly when plugging in the power adapter there's a faint sound from the speaker.

I really don't know what I did, but I do know that I'm sad now. :-( 

On 5/31/2018 at 11:20 AM, Gorgonops said:

I know this is probably an obvious question, but have you tried reconnecting the wires you cut?

Yes, I did! It's a very good question.

The powerbook is sitting on the shelf for awhile, until I get the gumption to go take it apart again.

It's possible that you unseated the processor card and/or I/O card from the logic board. All of the cards are supposed to come out and go back into the chassis together because it's close to impossible to reseat the cards when they're in the case. You could try disassembling the computer and removing the inner frame stiffener with the processor card and I/O card attached (be really careful because they're not secured well and you'll need to be gentle), then invert the logic board and press on the individual cards over the connector area until you're satisfied that they're seated properly. Reassemble while avoiding flexing the assembly and it should work. If it doesn't, make sure to try the PRAM reset voodoo that these things seem to require every now and then.

It's pretty unlikely that the new hard drive is grounding out on the logic board, but you may want to look while you're in there. I'm pretty sure there's a plastic insulator on the board to prevent this from happening but it may have come loose/become damaged somehow.

Also you can remove the backup battery at the same time; sometimes when it gets weak it can prevent the machine from booting properly, and it will leak if it sits in there too long.