Sign in to follow this  
Von

SE/30 mobo m/r power extension cable

Hi All,

I am close to being able to put my SE/30's back together. I'd like to be able to run the machine with the motherboard out of the chassis as I saw someone on this forum doing. What I'd really like to be able to do is leave the stock cable plugged into the analog board then have an extension cable that gives ~2feet of room for the mobo to sit outside of its case.  I believe the stock analog board to mobo cable is f/f.  

Does someone have the right crimper to build such a cable?  Yes I could buy a stock cable on eBay for about $13 US but then it needs to be spliced and it wouldn't allow use of the stock cable being plugged into the analog board.

THx

You are looking for an ATX power supply extension cable; it has more pins but you line it up in the right position and it works well.

JB

9 hours ago, Byrd said:

You are looking for an ATX power supply extension cable; it has more pins but you line it up in the right position and it works well.

JB

Great idea! Here is a shot of one form this link:

BLN-180903.jpg

It looks like you'd need to cut away some of the extra housing so that it could mate with the mobo...is that correct?

Edited by Von
image placement...

1 hour ago, Bolle said:

It will slide in if you wiggle it a bit, no need to cut the plug.

I'm interested in this as well. Anyone have a link to a youtube video or site with lots of pictures? I am an idiot when it comes to hooking up wires (trying to learn).

1. Buy one of those seen above

2. Plug in:

90475DF0-A422-41F4-B025-4E504BAAACEB.thumb.jpeg.a285d23848cbf95fb9ea89efa91d29a6.jpeg

3. Done.

No need to splice wires or cut connectors (unless your new cap is bigger than the standard one and you are using a 24pin ATX extender instead of a 20pin one as seen on my picture)

Awesome, thanks for the picture! The one Von linked to is 12 inches long - do you find that's long enough to meet your need? I need to play around with this, I have SO many compact macs to work on.

Yep, took a quick ride down to Frys in Renton and picked one of these up and it worked just fine:

2018-05-28_15_56_33.jpg

I found a 2-wire M/F jumper I could connect the speaker to so I get a sound check as well.  Now it will be much easier to sort through this stack of RAMs and ROMs...

THx all for the input!!

Edited by Von
there was some wire that needed wiring

Nice!

I like your workspace - do you get those black (rubber?) squares from a Home-Depot type place? Any recommendations or warnings as to material? I'd like to use something like that on my basement workbench.

The SE/30 looks heartless with no motherboard in the case!

Looks like Von is using foam flooring squares, available from any hardware store.  IKEA sell thin opaque "work mats" I've found fantastic - designed for kitchen or office use.

JB

Yeah, those are the floor mats you can get at Home Depot. I have had them forever but just started using them for the macs.  The office/lab is a bit of a mess with about 270 degrees of computer clutter not counting the network gear and printers in the closet to my right in the photo...

2018-05-28_09_59_32.jpg

Great nerd HQ, Von!  Good you could get it inside the house :)

What's in the (AT case) PC?  I'm currently building up a Voodoo II SLI rig based off what I think will be a Slot 1 BX system.

JB

That board came out of an old Motorola Base Station Controller. Got it when dumpster diving at work. That stuff should have been gone 20 years ago already but super old spare parts pop up now and then when rearranging storage rooms it seems.

Had a few of those to harvest old components from. The CPU boards had 030s and 040s on them as well as 882s and 56000 DSPs.