Sign in to follow this  
mac512

New Portable = new project

Hi there!

Got a "new" Portable last Wednesday but just had time for it today. It is in really great shape but, as assumed, there are a couple of quirks to it. When I bought it, I assumed it was in non working condition due to a dead battery and leaked caps. So, I got a new 6V 4.5Ah SLA battery and tried to start it. As expected, it didn't work.

I opened it and took the logic-board out. Lots of cap crap. Worse, I think there are a few traces that were corroded... an example here:

IMG_20180506_174050879.thumb.jpg.696beb41f5ec4a54fcfd94fcb2cff738.jpg

That picture was taken after I removed the caps (I didn't want them to cause any more damage).

So, now I got myself a new project. Replace all those caps. For that, I will need your advice on which caps to use. I'd rather not use the same electrolytic caps but the tantalum or ceramic ones as they won't leak...

In addition to that, the bottom part of the case is broken. I think it got smashed in one of the corners and caused a big crack that goes from the corner down to almos the middle of the case:

5aef8eb71762b_IMG_20180505_192327297copy.thumb.jpg.9dd2e077c0c7e8a8ff258472f4af70b3.jpg

5aef8eb455d93_IMG_20180505_192244847copy.thumb.jpg.978e8897b8f0677a9bdc3a0b558b0373.jpg

I would really appreciate any suggestion on how to repair it, like what kind or brand of glues to use (or not to use).

Thanks a lot and sorry for the big pics...

Edited by mac512
posted prematurely by mistake

For the caps, I'd recommend tantalums over ceramics (I know a lot of people replace electrolytic caps with ceramics, but I personally don't because I've heard they have different characteristics.)

For the case, I'd recommend ABS Plumbing Cement as I've had good success with it on my G3.

Thanks AwkwardPotato! Will do some research on ABS plumbing cement.

As for the caps, can you elaborate a little more about the differences between ceramics and tatalums? So far, the only thing I've heard is that ceramic caps are non-polarized...

Thanks again.

No problem! Although I'm not an expert on caps, as far as I'm concerned polarization shouldn't be an issue, since you can replace polarized capacitors with non-polarized ones. The reason I tend to avoid replacing electrolytics with ceramics is because they (supposedly) can introduce noise/stability issues. Although it probably wouldn't be an issue in a 68k Mac, I just tend to not want to risk it.