zackl

Early Mac LC proto?

2 hours ago, North Hedge Ned said:

Even more strange , EveilCapitalist, is that that second floppy port would work!  I did this experiment years ago by attaching a second floppy to that unit and knocking out the faceplate - taking the space where the HD would normally go.  I also left the HDD connected.  So my hacked LC had a floppy hanging out of the side, and I was able to copy floppy to floppy with it, and even run games two floppies at a time to avoid the need to swap disks all of the time.  Kind of an impractical build, but a successful proof of concept nonetheless.  Now, to find that unit among my boxes of goodies.....

Thats not strange, thats by design. His post was referring to the fact that the case lacked a second floppy opening even though the mobo had dual connectors. Implies the LC was not originally meant to have two floppies. Or it means this is in fact a later case design for single manual-inject setup with an earlier motherboard.

I don't know if any shipped this way, but, yes, the original LC had room for two floppies, and two diskette openings. They probably shifted gears on that one because 1990 and system 7 was the point at which it would've looked *too* outmoded to ship a floppy-only system.

It wouldn't surprise me (I haven't owned one in 20 years, and I had that for a grand ol' couple days) if the LCII kept the LC's second FDC, with the literal only change to the board being the '030 CPU. It would have been easier to just do that than actually build a new board.

2 floppy version was available as the extra low-cost variant for education.  The idea is that you could install a HDD later when they were more affordable, or reuse HDDs from other machines that were being put to pasture.

The early lc’s did have a blanking plate didn’t they like the se so could easily add a floppy i did a hdd fill that space?