Hi Guys,

I’m just about to get my 2nd vintage mac up and running, a performa 6200 (i know not the best of macs) but i wanted something newer and cheaper than my SE/30 as a partner machine to get online and share/transfer programs between the machines. Now my thinking was to use AppleTalk/LocalTalk networking in 7.5.5 as it is inbuilt I believe, 1.) is this straight forward to do, do i just plug a LocalTalk cable from one machine to another or do i need some node or switch or something? 2.) i have a v32 14.4k dial up modem i can use on either SE/30 or Performa but thought it would be best to use it on the Performa as an internet gateway for the 2 machines, is this possible? I know it would be slow but ultimately my goal is only to use dial up to be able to get the drivers i need for my 2 NETWORK cards (in both SE/30 & Performa) plus drivers for my external scsi CD-ROM and ZIP drives.

If i can do all the above i will then network them all together using TCP/IP to a 2007 Mac mini so i can at least use that as the gateway to my home broadband connection to my vintage mac network.

any help i’d be so grateful as i cant get any software on to my vintage machines otherwise 

Thanks Mike, i have read that already and I’m not quite at the point of TCP/IP networking hence looking at the AppleTalk setup but I don’t even know what i need to plug where :(

If you have a serial/printer cable (mini male 8-din in both ends) you can share an HDD between your two Macs, it's a simple thing, but first provide for the cable I mentioned

1 minute ago, MrGasS27 said:

If you have a serial/printer cable (mini male 8-din in both ends) you can share an HDD between your two Macs, it's a simple thing, but first provide for the cable I mentioned

Hi MrGas,

is that the same as the ADB keyboard cable as i have one of those? 

Neal :)

18 minutes ago, SE30_Neal said:

Hi MrGas,

is that the same as the ADB keyboard cable as i have one of those? 

Neal :)

Nope, the ADB cable is a 4 mini din, you have to search the cable I mentioned that was used also between Apple printers and Macs

3 minutes ago, SE30_Neal said:

Like this one

Yep, like that.

However, you need this cable to attach the Macs through Printer port, then you start Sharing from a Mac and you connect with the Chooser to the Mac with file sharing enabled

Ok once i’ve get my cable and new os (also ordered for the performa) from eBay could i use my performa with TCP/IP as it has a network card in it, then AppleTalk from it to my SE/30? At least then i could get on to the internet with the performa and download software and drivers to transfer to my SE/30. Thats been my biggest problem not being able to get any drivers or software onto my little SE/30, i even have a network card in the SE/30 but no driver so never been able to get to work. Worst case scenario i have a 14.4k dial up modem now so could use that just to get the drivers i need but know it would be very slow.

Neal

1 minute ago, SE30_Neal said:

Ok once i’ve get my cable and new os (also ordered for the performa) from eBay could i use my performa with TCP/IP as it has a network card in it, then AppleTalk from it to my SE/30? At least then i could get on to the internet with the performa and download software and drivers to transfer to my SE/30. Thats been my biggest problem not being able to get any drivers or software onto my little SE/30, i even have a network card in the SE/30 but no driver so never been able to get to work. Worst case scenario i have a 14.4k dial up modem now so could use that just to get the drivers i need but know it would be very slow.

Neal

Yes, I think you can do this, I put my 6200 on ethernet on 2008 and I downloaded some software with Netscape

Fantastic news!!! yes mine is a 6200 just retro brighted it today, just waiting for os, screen and now cable and hopefully with some head scratching i can get the performa online and from there i can finally get my setup working

8C0174B8-6504-4B0C-8412-1E515E115A08.jpeg

LOL! You just posted that pic and there's a lovely 1400 sitting on the 6200. Snag a Mac compatible PCMCIA WiFi NIC and you've got yourself a wireless bridge machine setup using three PhoneNet connectors. [;)]

18 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Can you use a USB FDD on the Mini? If not, use a PC to download your drivers and write them to floppy?

Hi Trash, I don’t have a pc. I tried doing that with my MacMini (MM) before without success as it didn’t like the hfs file formats as it has 10.6 on it, that said I’ve just brought tiger 10.4 to wipe it and do a fresh OS install on the MM as i know 10.4 is backward compatible and can read the older formats. Yes i have a usb FDD and Dvd writer in the pic on top of the MM, in fact that CD-ROM you can see is tiger 10.4 so will have a go on Monday to see if that will work. Ultimately the MM I want to use as an email server to deal with SSL that the SE/30 & Performa can’t do due to thr old email client software.

Edited by SE30_Neal

15 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

LOL! You just posted that pic and there's a lovely 1400 sitting on the 6200. Snag a Mac compatible PCMCIA WiFi NIC and you've got yourself a wireless bridge machine setup using three PhoneNet connectors. [;)]

Yes i have a 1400 with PCMCIA network card but no driver for it so that didn’t work either :/, that said poor little thing wouldn’t boot up today so need to look at that over the next few days to see if its died :(

I also see a Zip Drive, the USB variety to run off the MM are very inexpensive  .  .  .

.  .  .  don't tell me, no drivers? You've been Caught 22 every which way. Gotta have BMOW add Iomega Guest (and SCSI Probe) to his universal II series ROM image.

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

I also see a Zip Drive, the USB variety to run off the MM are very inexpensive  .  .  .

.  .  .  don't tell me, no drivers? You've been Caught 22 every which way. Gotta have BMOW add Iomega Guest (and SCSI Probe) to his universal II series ROM image.

BMOW? Yep no drivers, this is why I've resorted to buying a dial up modem (with drivers and cables) as i only need to get online and download a few drivers and it’ll start coming together, ive ordered a new 1gb hdd for the Se/30 and paid extra for generic CD-ROM and Iomega drivers plus networking on that but its coming from the states so thats 3-6 weeks away with border checks etc, by that time all my other bits for the performa will have arrived so hopefully thats its, next month rom-enator and OWC memory for the se/30 then i need to think about having thd anologue board and power supply recapped. Would love an accelorator card for it but need to sell a kidney and my kids just to get one and anyway need to get it all working first and actually use it for something more than lemmings

BMOW (Big Mess OD Wires) makes the ROM-inatorII.

At this point I'll assume burning CDR for file transfer to the 6200 hasn't worked and is documented above? Joined late and haven't done more than skim the thread. You do appear to be stuck in a Catch 22 to the Nth.

Ah lol yes i have looked at the BMOW site and yes the rominator 2 is what im after so i can max out the se/30 with the clean rom. For the sake of a month i’ll wait hopefully my new hhd will have most of what i’ll need, plus new os for the performa and i should get the time to setup my macmini with 10.4 if im still stuck yrs i’ll hope to get some floppies