Sign in to follow this  
Dwest

30" Apple Cinema Display

I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display that works fine until you plug the display hub connector into the computer. When you plug either the USB or the Firewire connectors into the host computer, the display goes black. Unplug them, and the display comes back on. I have had 2 different power supplies - same thing happens on them both. I believe others have seen this issue with these monitors, but I have not seen a solution. Any ideas about what may be causing it? Capacitors somewhere in the display? Faulty power board in the display? Would love to figure out how to fix it - it's a great display otherwise.

This may not be related to your problem but does the power light pulse on and off short-long-short when the screen goes black?

I have a buddy with a 23" who had one of his displays fail.

Based on what I read here: http://pixelchimp.net/blog/pixel-chimp/apple-23-cinema-display-possible-fix-short-long-short-error

I replaced the voltage regulator to fix the problem. That was about five years ago and the monitor is still working.

Nope. The status light on the monitor does the following.

Display on - status light off

Plug in either USB or Firewire to host computer - Display off - status light off

Put computer to sleep - status light on (solid) 

I also have a 2nd monitor attached to this computer - a 23" Cinema Display, and status light action is consistent on both monitors. USB & Firewire from the 23" ARE connected to the computer, and work fine.  

Yep, I've seen the posts you reference, and understand that Apple has never acknowledged the issue. My display is now over 10yrs old - still working fine otherwise (amazing in itself), and 4-5 of those years with the problem we're discussing here, but was hoping one of the electronic wizards in this forum might have an idea about what component in the monitor might cause this behavior... Thanks

Yeah, I don't know if anyone has actually figured out a fix for the problem that doesn't involve swapping the control board for one that isn't haunted. Sorry.

I have one of these monitors myself, and I kind of regret not selling it when they were still worth something. It still looks great (it's one made close to the end of the production run) and doesn't have that many miles on it, but support for dual-DVI is getting thin on the ground and the requisite Displayport adapters are both expensive and cruddy.

@Gorgonops Should you decide to sell it, how much would you ask?

I *might* be interested, as I've always wanted one since I knew of their existence (2009 or so, when I saw one in an acquaintance's house I was visiting). I remember marveling at how expensive they were ($1100!), and I'm amazed by how cheap they've become, relatively speaking.

Be that as it may, I have two 20" Cinemas (one bought new Feb 2009, the other used a few years later), and they're both perfect to this day. Likewise for the 23" I got recently (it needed some trickery to get it to recognize the PSU, but it's fine otherwise).

c