Nilly

Advice needed! Macintosh Portable Non backlit

Hi!! Very happy to finally register here, i know i didnt register an account before needing some help,sorry about that, but i have followed this place for a long time! Ok thats a bit of introduction.

So i bought a Macintosh portable in extremely good cosmetic shape, looks almost new, but ofcource it didnt run, hadnt been started for over 20years.

I did a recap of the motherboard, replacing all caps, except for the cap on the hybrid board, and the two? caps in the display. Most of the SMD caps had leaked some, but it cleaned of well and the board is in exceptional shape.

New caps soldered, and a new battery inplace, it starts up and works PERFECT! i had also dismanteled the connor harddrive and cleaned out goo since the sealed had melted and leaked. HD works fine now! But after using the portable

for about 3days. a non lit/non black line appeared across a bit more than half of the display. ill attach an image. So i dismanteled the display, and noticed a broken lead in the display cable, repaired cable and measured it, it was fine now. But the line

didnt disappear, the broken display lead didnt seem to matter, either way. disassembled the displaypanel from the displayboard, cleaning the contact with iso-alcohol. Didnt help, same line

but then i noticed when moving the display cable on the display side of things, made some high pitch sound and the line started to flicker at times, so i took apart the display connector on the display cable on the display side and

shorted it a half centimeter and assembled it back, but heck still that dead line. SO i resoldered the display cable connector on the display in hope that would help, but NO it did nothing.

And after resoldering connector and shorten the displaycable i dont get that flickering of the dead line nor the pitched sound? so i made it worse? better?

So now im a bit stuck, guess i could clean under the zebra stripe rubber/carbon contacts,  but it seems a bit scary, afraid i wont get them properly aliagned afterwards, but this would be the next step to try.

Any help? ideas? could the caps on the displayboard matter? dont seem to have leaked.
is there any cap on the motherboard that could produce this problem? that i might try to resolder.

Please advice :) Sorry for the novel size first post, but i really would like to have this Mac in
prestine shape, its such a fantastic "little" 68k machine! Love it! love to tug it around aswell! :)

portabledisplayline.thumb.jpg.86e59e5f4d384bad00e705db0a084ecf.jpg

New day more if the same problem, was using my portable for a good few hours today, messing around trying to get the modem dialing (it's been a while) and formatting some disks.

When I shut down I got a black full contrast line across the display below the other line when the mac was off, it faded away in a minute or so.

Got very concerned and booted up again after a cup of coffee, and now I have this new line with pixels across that seem to lag when they go  off.

And when shutting down the line goes all black and fades  out. Could this be some power fail that is frying the display or just the old display slowly dying?  

Should the display draw black lines across when turned off or is that some failure with mine?

It's where those display off lines that seems to be dying. 

20180220_134611.jpg

Edited by Nilly

Hello fellow Apple nerds. Can't seem to edit my previous post, but a new post might be better either way so i can keep some "chapters" in this adventure/failure.

portablesenpaitechknight.jpg

So i've been making some boot floppys with System6 so i can take apart the conner drive and seal it up, been testing without any seal for a couple of days. and today i got a new "dead" line on the

display, this time around it's vertical just beside the Apple. At this point im fairly certain that the display is dying on me. Yesterday evening, i took the display apart once again, and metered out

the cable again wich is fine. and removed the display panel from the displayboard and tryed to align it "better" against the pads. Did nothing for my horizontal lines.

And today after some use of the portable, formatting some floppys and copying system folders and whatnot, i got this vertical line aswell! :(

Any pointers? is it for sure the display? or could it be something other than that? techknight you know your way around portables for sure, please chime in!

I'll attach some images of the new vertical dead lines.

portablevertline.jpg

That Mac surely looks happy eventhough he is striped with death! :(

Edited by Nilly

I have them too.  Maybe look at some other posts about this subject. I remember that is was difficult to fix these lines. But I leave it to the experts. 

Great that you restored it so well!

Thanks for answering techknight, love your work! you'r amazing! :) And here's a picture of the great shape of my portable, all clean white/grey.

battletanks.jpg

And here with my son wich is kicking my ass i battletanks. I think he's having even more fun than my, with winning and all.

battletanks2.thumb.jpg.8aa1dc7acae271f8e2bf06368565d2fd.jpg

Getting a hold of a new display panel for such old and pretty rare computers will be hard.

Anyone have "spares" "laying around" ? :) techknight? a NOS part would be sweet :)

Preferebly in europe.

Guess im out of luck. But playing battletanks these dead lines dont interfere much, so atleast we have that!

Edited by Nilly

One day we'll have brand new Wide Screen HD LCDs and a Video Conversion lashup worked out for the lovable Luggable. Hopefully that'll be in 2bit SE grayscale, not to mention a future rev from the world of Pi in the HDD cubic. [:)]

Only spare display I have is junk. it works perfectly except it has tunnelvision like the other powerbooks get. So I keep it around as a "test unit" for fixing boards. 

Havent used it or fixed boards in a long long time as I have been so busy at work. I cannot wait until we can get financially stable enough so I can hire some code monkeys. Right now I gotta do everything myself. that includes engineering all the electronics in our product line, up to designing the SQL back-end for our infrastructure to administration/support webapps, video LED display content management systems with hotkeys/headshots, etc etc etc. Getting old, fast. I am getting burned out. 

My current project is getting my crypto library/exe running on the Debian server I just got finished setting up, transferring from the old CentOS environment I was running on. But it wont get past a Segmentation fault, even recompiling didn't help. lol. Enough rubbish to pull my hair out. Funny though, ran fine in the CentOS system. 

But I digress...

Edited by techknight

@techknight regarding the tunnel vision issue, I’ve heard that other PowerBooks with B&W active matrix displays with tunnel vision brought to dry locations (most of AZ, Las Vegas, etc) will see the issue fade away after some time. Let me know if you ever need a place to park a panel for a couple months, I’m in Phoenix.

That said, I’ve never tested it first hand. However, that may be because I’ve never found a local machine experiencing the tunnel vision. Lending some credit to the claim above.

Well I remember telling people about the Oven method. Which I tried. 

Problem is, as time goes on, the worst the oven affects the polarizer and its adhesive. For S&G, I tried a Duo active matrix display in the oven which cured the tunnel vision but it put wrinkles in the polarizer so yep thats fun. 

I may try freezer bags and desiccant. 

Edited by techknight