Sign in to follow this  
Billy Masterpigeon

Mac SE looped chime and restart

My mac se has been on the fritz again. It works intermittently but when it doesn't, it will keep chiming and try to boot but will crash after a second or so. I have recapped the power supply and all of the analog board (except C15).

I'm wondering C15 is causing this or if something else is not quite right...

Thanks 

Can you elaborate a bit? 

When it goes into a frenzy, does the chime go, "chime chime chime chime chime" in rapid succession? 

I had an SE back in the day before they were collectible, and it had an Aztec power supply that did this. Never did figure out the exact cause. 

I do know it was caused by the power supply actually cycling. and it was totally random and totally intermittent. it would run for minutes at a time, or even hours, then suddently. pop- reboot- chime- reboot chime chime chime chime, you could see the screen physically "flubbing" when it happened. 

Edited by techknight

My psu is also an Aztech but mine is more like: pop - chime - reboot - pop - chime - reboot - pop - chime and the screen would "wobble" with the reboots. Also the popping would happen in the "background" while the computer was chiming and rebooting.

I had an LC that did exactly the same thing...

It kept rebooting every few seconds, then the next day would just work again. This nearly made me crazy and took some time until I found out.

It was clearly a power issue, so I recapped the PSU first. It still did it afterwards. After a lot of fiddling and checking things over and over again I noticed that the contacts inside the power connector had corroded and made bad contact. You might want to check that on your machine.