PB G3 lombard, ibook g3, 1400c battery recell/replacement

Just wondering, I see ibook G3 clamshell batteries are for sale new on ebay, would these batteries be old stock that need their cells revived? I got a replacement battery for my thinkpad T22 and the replacement did 30 secs on a full charge.

Also, what about the battery controller in the lombard? Is it worth rebuilding with new cells in the original pack?

Another thing I was looking at, Panasonic Eneloop Rechargeable NiMH AA Batteries, is it possible to use these batteries for recelling a 1400c pack?

I will not undertake a recell myself btw, I would get someone who is qualified to do it as I am not.

On the 1400 side, yes you could use AA batteries however the battery capacity will be a bit less, about 71% of a brand new perfect condition battery. A 4/3A will hold ~3500 mAh vs ~2500 mAh for a good AA (Eneloop). I looked into it myself and came to the conclusion it's more cost effective to just shell out for the 4/3A cells, even if they aren't cheap.

Should you decide to tackle a 1400 with AAs, it's nothing hard to do. It's just 8 1.2V cells wired in series to make up a 9.6V unit (+ a fuse and such). The solder joints are nice and big and NiMH cells are very forgiving to heat so it'd be hard to do any damage. 

I've had VERY poor results with "new" 4/3 cells lasting any length of time. Tenergy are craptastic.

Yeah, AA cells are "less" but easier to find/source and the smaller size gives you some extra room to work with.