digitalrampage

PowerBook 150 - screens all destroyed?!

On 1/4/2018 at 11:08 AM, techknight said:

Good news is, you can get replacement polarizing film with adhesive. It isnt cheap but its doable and easily fixed if your careful. 

Cool! I still have the old display from my Compaq Contura so I may try this. 

5 hours ago, techknight said:

I think it all depends on their previous life and exposures. I know alot of the PB170/180 machines had tunneling, but mine does NOT so it may have been stored differently.

Reckon it's just down to hours of use; the CCFL gases wear out either end like any other household CCFL when used extensively.

You're right on the polarising film; had a quick look and a small 5 - 10cm x 10cm sheet is $35 - 50.  I wonder if a donor LCD could be used, for example from a cheap generic laptop, cut down?

"peeling" the film will ruin it. I have tried to re-use old polerizing film, and itll develop lines and marks from "peeling" and the inconsistent remaining adhesive will cause optical obstructions. 

26 minutes ago, techknight said:

"peeling" the film will ruin it. I have tried to re-use old polerizing film, and itll develop lines and marks from "peeling" and the inconsistent remaining adhesive will cause optical obstructions. 

Found a 145 at the office yesterday, exactly the same issue as my 150's. It could only be humidity related, three separate locations, all with the same.

Surely there must be a way to remove, clear off the old adhesive and even just sit the polariser over the top?

Hi guys, I am sorry it took me so long to take the pictures I promised, but here they are. My collection of powerbooks was kept in two different rooms with our dehumidifier running all the time, because of a health condition. Since I am a chemist, it never even crossed my mind to clean the screens with solvents, so this can't be the reason for the excessive damage. Since last time I checked, the PB520 and Duo 2300c screens got even worse. The bright spot on the Duo 230 screen is not a flash light reflection, it is a polarizer damage. Any ideas of what might been causing the polarizer deterioration?

PB230.jpg

PB520.jpg

PB2300c.jpg

PBG3.jpg

Just now, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

YOWCH! Can you see the damage when the 'Books are powered down or do I need to go through my collection and test under power  .  .  .  those that'll power up. :/

You can see it when off.

55 minutes ago, techgeek said:

Hi guys, I am sorry it took me so long to take the pictures I promised, but here they are. My collection of powerbooks was kept in two different rooms with our dehumidifier running all the time, because of a health condition. Since I am a chemist, it never even crossed my mind to clean the screens with solvents, so this can't be the reason for the excessive damage. Since last time I checked, the PB520 and Duo 2300c screens got even worse. The bright spot on the Duo 230 screen is not a flash light reflection, it is a polarizer damage. Any ideas of what might been causing the polarizer deterioration?

PB230.jpg

PB520.jpg

PB2300c.jpg

PBG3.jpg

Wow, just as bad.. Worse on some. Its like a bacterial growth. The last one certainly looks like mould, but I have a 180c with that "cracked" plastic too. Clearly something bad is going on =(

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

YOWCH! Can you see the damage when the 'Books are powered down or do I need to go through my collection and test under power  .  .  .  those that'll power up. :/

Yes, you can see it on the Duo 230 - it looks as a slightly discolored area, but if I have not turned it on I may have not noticed it. On the PB G3 no way to tell - it is only visible when it is on.

I have a few more which screens are still OK, but I am worried that these too will fail. I wonder if I should stop collecting powerbooks and collect only desktops from now on.

14 minutes ago, techgeek said:

I have a few more which screens are still OK, but I am worried that these too will fail. I wonder if I should stop collecting powerbooks and collect only desktops from now on.

Why not buy some new film and see if you can fix them? That’s what I’d do.

My belief is that Apple must have used the cheapest LCD screens they can put their hands on. Nothing else can explain why all my PC laptops are OK - I have about 15 of them, a few Toshibas, Gateway 2000, IBM Thinkpads and NEC. My oldest is the NEC Ultralight, which is a 286 machine from about 1989 and its screen looks great. In fact it was in the same drawer as the Duo 230.

Dang, that eBay100 pic finally got me to pull one of my PartsBoo100s off the shelf. Looks like two rounds crazed its bulletproof glass. Might have been like that when I got it though as it was pretty beat up, but still  .  .  . :/

But the LCD in PB100 on the AppleDisplayUnit is fine, as is screen of the one I recently got from another member. The LCD from my original PB100 looks brand new in its heavy duty ZipLoc bag home of the last thirteen or fourteen years. The 2300c screen I'd squeezed into its lid is fine as is the screen on my main 2300c machine in the Dock.

Looks like I'll need to go through the entire collection. It's about time I did a head count anyway.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini
spellchecking

23 minutes ago, techgeek said:

My belief is that Apple must have used the cheapest LCD screens they can put their hands on. Nothing else can explain why all my PC laptops are OK - I have about 15 of them, a few Toshibas, Gateway 2000, IBM Thinkpads and NEC. My oldest is the NEC Ultralight, which is a 286 machine from about 1989 and its screen looks great. In fact it was in the same drawer as the Duo 230.

I'm 90% sure that Apple didn't skimp on the screens. Indeed, they often had displays (on the high-end models, at least) that were the envy of the portable computer crowd at the time. Plus it's not like knockoffs from FlyByNightVendor.com or whatever were common in the '90s: take apart an Apple display and the LCD manufacturer will likely be Sharp, Toshiba, Sony, Casio, Philips, or IBM. Many of the same panels reside in contemporary PC models, especially when display sizes standardized around the 10-12" era (1997ish).

Anyway the worst of Apple's LCD quality issues didn't start to crop up until LG or Samsung displays started to appear (Defective 13.3" on a PDQ? Pink Pismo? Pink or dead Apple Cinema Display? Guess who made them).

I've really only seen severely damaged LCDs like this overseas. I saw an ADC Apple Studio Display with bubbles in diagonal streaks; I assumed it was from improper storage or cleaning products (my aunt ruined a 50" LCD TV in a similar fashion by cleaning it with ammonia or some other harsh glass cleaner). Years ago I bought a PowerBook 520 and it looked like the display had been dipped in acid, as warped, bubbled, and rusty as it was. I recently bought a PowerBook 160 with a similar screen but the damage was near the battery, which had bulged; I assumed that battery fumes had got to it, but the keyboard and the rest of the case are fine, so I dunno.

14 hours ago, techgeek said:

I meant NEC Ultralite.